Women’s basketball coach leaving following alleged investigation

Taylor Keeton
Norse head coach Camryn Whitaker-Volz will be departing from NKU.

Camryn Whitaker-Volz will no longer serve as the head coach of NKU women’s basketball, the university announced on Friday.

Volz was under investigation according to unnamed sources, WCPO reported on March 30. Sources also told WLWT that the head coach was on administrative leave amid the investigation.

The university said it was aware of the reports regarding Volz’s “alleged conduct,” but claimed Coach Volz did not violate “any university employment policies.”

“We have agreed that it is appropriate for a change in leadership of the women’s basketball program,” the statement said.

This wasn’t the first time the women’s coach was under investigation. In March 2019, former players filed complaints of emotional abuse and bullying from Volz. At the time, senior player Taryn Taugher said the coach had intimidated, degraded and isolated NKU players from one another and their families. Taugher claimed the abuse had been on-going for three years and the coach threatened players to not speak about what went on behind closed doors.

Two months later, the university said the accusations were “unfounded” and had no basis. Taugher reacted, telling The Northerner the problems would be “swept under the rug again.”

In Volz’s eight seasons at NKU, she earned a 95-106 record. The head coach came to NKU in 2016, after spending one season at the University of Kentucky as an assistant coach.

The search for a new head coach will begin immediately.