Beard causes petition

Beard causes petition

Jalen Billups and men's basketball Head Coach Dave Bezold try to persuade a group of people on who to side with.

Photo by Carrie Crotzer

Photo by Carrie Crotzer

Photo by Carrie Crotzer

Carrie Crotzer, Sports Editor

Facial hair is rarely a thing that causes commotion, often only doing so when it takes extreme form.

However over the last week on NKU’s campus this has not been the case, as men’s basketball player Jalen Billups petitioned to save his beard.

What started as a resistance to shaving his beard for team pictures turned into a campus wide campaign.

“I didn’t expect it to blow up this much,” Billups said Tuesday, Sept. 16.

While Billups petitioned for #SaveTheBeard, the men’s basketball coaching staff fought to #ShaveTheBeard.

“If you just look at Jalen’s beard, it’s disgusting.” Assistant Coach Dante Jackson said, with a smirk on his face. “Look at it. It’s not trimmed up, it goes in several directions, and it’s just overwhelming.”

Head Coach Dave Bezold had other reasons for wanting Billups and the team to shave.

“It’s been a team policy ever since I’ve been here, that everyone is clean shaven, and uniformed that way for pictures,” Bezold said.

Also in his campaign Bezold said he was fighting for Billups mom, stating that she wanted the beard gone. It later came about that Billups mom in fact supported her son the whole time.

With the final tally being counted Wednesday, Sept. 17, Billups began to worry when five pages of signatures went missing, and coaches also considered not counting all of the family signatures that had come from Billups himself.

“It didn’t worry me until they made it a big deal,” Billups said. “But they told me later that they were just joking.”

According to Billups he ended his petition with a total of 1,546 signatures, meaning he and the rest of the team got to keep their facial hair this year for pictures.

As for next year’s pictures, the team may have to petition again.

“We’ve always done it [shaved] for pictures,” Bezold said. “And then if we’re on a winning streak, they grow it, if we lose it’s just a superstition.”

Bezold said it may change next year that they have to shave again, but for now he and the team just wanted to have fun with the campaign.

• Beard causes petition

Featured Story

DISCONNECTED: How one NKU student gave up social media and found herself

• Beard causes petition

Students share their stories at Pride Week Open Mic

• Beard causes petition

GALLERY: Students show out for campus Pride March

• Beard causes petition

Featured Story

Column: Who will coach Norse MBB? Our picks to replace Brannen

• Beard causes petition

Review: Plot of ‘The Public’ eerily familiar for Cincinnati

• Beard causes petition

Featured Story

Callahan Bistro making changes following food complaints

• Beard causes petition

Featured Story

Cincinnati to snag NKU men’s basketball coach John Brannen

• Beard causes petition

Featured Story

Society of Pro Journalists honors Northerner for 2018 report on sexual harassment

• Beard causes petition

Featured Story

‘We are people too’: NKU nationally ranked as Military Friendly school

• Beard causes petition

Review: Fun Times in Philadelphia with ‘Shazam!’

Beard causes petition