NKU announces Cincinnati native as new CFO

Provided | NKU
Chris Calvert was announced as NKU’s new CFO on Feb. 14.

Northern Kentucky University announced Chris Calvert as the new vice president for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) via a Feb. 14 press release. 

Calvert will begin his role following the departure of previous CFO Jeremy Alltop in January 2024. The new vice president comes from Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, where he has served as CFO since 2017. 

Calvert gained experience in leading the college from a budget deficit to “record surpluses and cash flow,” the news release said. The CFO reduced the college’s debt from $40 million to $15 million, Calvert wrote on LinkedIn. This experience will prove useful as NKU continues working to improve its budget deficit, which was announced in October 2022.

“Amidst these financially challenging times, I am dedicated to upholding NKU’s mission, contributing to sustained success and balancing the budget by FY25,” Calvert said.  

Calvert holds a Bachelor of Science in business administration from Miami University as well as a Juris Doctorate law degree from University of Cincinnati College of Law. Prior to his time at Cincinnati State, Calvert worked in public accounting and corporate finance, as well as an eight year tenure in the United States Air Force and Air National Guard.

“I am confident that the expertise, experience and leadership capacity that Chris brings are precisely what we need at this moment,” shared NKU President Dr. Cady Short-Thompson. “I am eager to bring his strategic leadership talents, communication strengths and financial savvy to our cabinet and university.”

The president has seen two recent changes to her presidential cabinet, with a new provost announced in January and now a new CFO.