Health Innovation Center makes headway

Health Innovation Center construction on time despite rainy summer

Mackenzie Manley, News Editor

With the structural steel frame set to be completed by mid-September, students filing into campus for the upcoming fall semester will be able to see the progress that’s been made on the Health Innovation Center as it begins to take shape.

“What we can look forward to is the contractor saying that by Christmas the building will be enclosed,” said Mark Jones, project manager. “It won’t have all the final exterior elements, but the building will be enclosed. We should be able to see the shape of the new Health Innovation Center coming into this upcoming semester.”

Health Innovation Center construction is on schedule and budget, according to project manager Mark Jones.

Fabio Souza

The project is both on schedule and on budget thus far, according to Jones, despite a rainy summer season.  

The Health Innovation Center, which will be the new home to the College of Health Professions, is funded by $97 million that was allocated in 2014 by the Kentucky General Assembly, according to a press release by the university.

An additional $8 million has been invested by St. Elizabeth Healthcare, which will go towards equipment and construction of a two-story St. Elizabeth Healthcare Simulation Center.Final-01-01Derek Daley

Along with new construction, the project also includes the renovation of Founder’s Hall, the second-oldest academic facility on campus.

While progress has been made, the construction site is the same as the previous semester, according to Jones. The fence beside Griffin Lawn is still in place and parking restrictions at Lot C are the same as last semester.

“We haven’t created any more difficulties that weren’t there six months ago,” Jones said.

With the center scheduled to open in the summer of 2018, Amanda Nageleisen, spokesperson for the university, said in an email that the construction is already transforming the campus.

“When it opens in 2018, the Health Innovation Center will transform the study of healthcare in our region – but the construction is already transforming our campus,”  Nageleisen said. “As students return to campus this fall, we hope that they enjoy watching this exciting new academic facility take shape as much as faculty and staff have over the summer.”

Nageleisen also hopes the campus community will join the university for the topping out ceremony, which will be held on Sept. 8 when the final beam is laid.

The ceremony will begin at 11 a.m., and the beam will be signed by the campus community as a whole.

• Health Innovation Center makes headway

GALLERY: The biggest acts and best munchies at Bunbury 2018

Weekend planetarium shows smash attendance records

Students’ Fringe plays tackle race, theatre and open mic woes

Sports

NKU’s unknown champion: Perce takes home boxing title

Fall tuition jumps 3 percent as division budgets, positions get clipped

Softball

Softball rookies make the switch from varsity to collegiate play

Editorial

EDITORIAL: Why did I do school?

Esports club gives competitive gaming a proper home on campus

Regents approve new fees for 100 fall courses. Will you pay more?

Kentucky News

Pension freeze stalls cuts, buys NKU time

Health Innovation Center makes headway