The Northerner staff shares their 2023 favs: Trends, albums, movies and more

The Northerner staff chooses their favorite pieces of pop culture from 2023. (Jessie Crawford)

After an unsurprisingly jam-packed year of trends and media, The Northerner staff looks back on which pieces of pop culture stole their hearts.

Staff member: Sydney Bellm, Assistant Photo Editor

Favorite album: “Zero Division Error” – Parks, Squares and Alleys

Parks, Squares and Alleys released their album “Zero Division Error” in July 2023 and, in my opinion, not a single song requires a skip. Singles “Alliance” and “Shadows” were first released back in March. Both of these fan favorites lead the album, figuratively and literally, listed as the first two choices and have received the most streams on Spotify. Most songs on “Zero Division Error” are light, upbeat and a solid choice for warm weather.

Favorite song: “Wrong” – Sunnbrella

First released as a single in July of 2022 alongside “Fever Dream,” it was added to Sunnbrella’s 2023 album, “Heartworn.” Personally, summer 2022 was my favorite summer in college, and I had to add in an “oldie but a goodie,” as my 25th most played song last year. This is a great song for any occasion and mood. Driving, taking a shower or doing homework – it’s a must play.

Favorite trend: Oversized T-shirts

A callback to the 1990s, a big T-shirt can pair with almost anything. They can be dressed up or left as are. Big T-shirts are a staple piece to express your interests while still being comfortable.

Staff member: Braden White, Editor-in-Chief

Favorite album: “Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” – Lana Del Rey

“Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” by Lana Del Rey is my pick for this year’s top album. The album came out earlier this year and has been on repeat for me since its release. 

Favorite song: “Let the Light In” – Lana Del Rey featuring Father John Misty 

Without a doubt, my favorite song from the album is “Let the Light In” by Lana Del Rey featuring Father John Misty. This song was one of my top songs of 2023 and for sure my anthem for this past year. 

Favorite trend: Early 2000s clothing

My favorite trend from this past year has been the resurgence of early 2000s fashion, specifically the baggier street-style look. 

Staff member: Mildred Nguyen, Managing Editor

Favorite album: “Night After Night (Music from the Movies of M. Night Shyamalan)” – James Newton Howard

My favorite album of the year is a collection of arrangements for orchestra, solo piano, violin and cello, composed by James Newton Howard for the films of M. Night Shyamalan. Naturally, that includes the award-winning score for “The Village,” with its gorgeous and darkly enigmatic—even iconic—violin motifs, as well as less widely recognized scores. A maestro in the world of film music, Howard weaves sophistication into his compositions like no others, creating rich, moving and intensely evocative melodies out of simple and subtle elements. From the tragic undertones of “The Village,” to the lighter fantasia of “Lady in the Water,” to the defiance of “Unbreakable,” the album showcases some of the strongest works in Howard’s long career, performed to precision by the orchestra under Gavin Greenaway, as well as world-class soloists Hilary Hahn, Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Maya Beiser. If you’re in the mood for classical-esque music that just exudes beauty and dignity, this is the album for you.

Favorite song: “Herald of Darkness” – Old Gods of Asgard

Speculations about Alan Wake’s return have been circulating among fans of the 2010 video game that bears his name forever. The thing no one expected is that Alan Wake’s return, both as a character in his narrative and as a meta-narrative creative work, burst onto a much wider audience than ever before with a musical number. Said number is written and performed by Swedish-American rockers Old Gods of Asgard, who were not a real band until October this year. Said band approaches Alan’s journey as an epic, 13-plus-minute-long rock/heavy metal opera that never once loses its momentum. Said epic incorporates a whole dance choreography, a jazz break, possibly one of the year’s catchiest choruses and 20 guitar solos (I counted). Sometimes it’s the first thing to play in my head when I wake up. Listen to it once and you might find yourself singing along in no time.

Favorite story: Meet Northern Kentucky’s foremost “Moby-Dick” expert

I had an absolute blast working on this lengthy narrative profile of Dr. Robert Wallace, originally published in the December print issue of the fall semester and later uploaded to the Arts & Life section. Dr. Wallace is quite possibly my favorite interview subject to date, who speaks with incredible eloquence and thoughtfulness about a great range of topics, and my conversations with him also marked the turning point for a deeper, closer relationship. I had not had much experience writing the narrative profile before, so this story required from me a different and more meticulous set of skills, and in the end I definitely emerged from it a better writer. I tried my best to do justice to his wonderful life narrative, but I probably would change very little were I to write this story again.

Staff member: Hailey Roden, Assistant Photo Editor

Favorite album: “GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo

Combining female rage and brilliant song-writing, this album even tops Rodrigo’s previous wildly popular debut album “Sour.” I love listening to her music whenever I need to scream some lyrics. 

Favorite movie: “Barbie”

My favorite movie that came out this year was Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie.” I saw it with my best friend and it was incredibly uplifting and an ode to powerful women everywhere. Ryan Gosling was a nice touch, too.

Favorite trend: Shoulder bags

My favorite trend that I have seen this year are shoulder bags. I feel like I have seen these used a lot more this year for going out outfits, as they provide an easy and extremely chic way to accessorize.

Staff member: Killian Baarlaer, Arts and Life Editor

Favorite album: “Love Streak” – Tony Shhnow

“Love Streak” is Tony Shhnow’s latest spacey yet propulsive take on the subgenre plugg rap. Shhnow leans into vulnerable but self-assured territory, harping on the sacrifices he made in a relationship that he feels weren’t worth it in the end. As a whole, the project feels like a manifesto to spend his time chasing money instead of love, while each track as a standalone exemplifies the push and pull of going the selfish route. Across a snug 16 tracks, soul and funk samples, splendidly lax piano and guitar riffs, and gently thudding drum patterns carry the intoxicating project through its hypnotically imperious arc.

Favorite show: “The Bear” season 2

Carmy’s kitchen is always in a feverish state, but there’s a lot of love inside of it. In this season, viewers see Carmy shut down the hole-in-the-wall joint he took over from his departed brother and toil to open an upscale restaurant. His volatility and chaotic leadership style seeds a disjointed operation, but that’s what makes it such a wild ride. This show makes being a chef look like a blast and a bane. 

Favorite trend: “If Looks Could Kill” reels

Destroy Lonely and his label mates are known for their exorbitant goth style and mysterious ethos. When he dropped his dreary, high-fashion anthem  “If Looks Could Kill” earlier this year, fans pounced on the opportunity to parody Destroy Lonely’s photo poses in TikToks and Instagram Reels. In short videos, creators dressed in all black outfits would abruptly disappear from the video frame and reappear on time with the opening riff of “If Looks Could Kill,” miming contorted and bizarre poses somehow intended to showcase their ostensibly tasteful fashion.

Staff member: Emily Sisk, News Editor

Favorite album: “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” – Taylor Swift

Honestly I wasn’t much of a “Swiftie” before the release of this album. I liked her previous album, “Midnights,” which was released in October 2022. But I didn’t fully understand the depths of Swift’s discography. When Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) was released in the summer, it became my go-to and opened the doors to my Taylor Swift exploration. Vault track “I Can See You” became an instant hit for me, and softer tracks like “Never Grow Up” and “Castles Crumbling” were on replay throughout the summer. 

Favorite movie: “The Little Mermaid” 

The Little Mermaid was one of my favorite Disney movies as a child, so screening the remake was a must. While there were many mixed opinions on this movie, I loved the lively, vibrant aspects this film featured. The songs were nostalgic, and I appreciated the way that audiences young and old could find enjoyment in the film. 

Favorite fashion trend: Maxi skirts

From denim to silk material to asymmetrical hemlines, maxi skirts were a closet staple for me. Light and flowy in the summertime or layered in the cooler months, long-length skirts add a classy and timeless touch to any outfit. I will certainly be bringing them into 2024.

Favorite story: “She’s one of us:” Key campus figures react to new president

This day felt like being a piece of history, as we got front row seats to NKU announcing its seventh president and first female leader. I remember feeling so proud of our staff’s teamwork and enthusiasm to get this story out. Upon the official announcement, other editors and myself ran around the Student Union ballroom, catching the reactions of various leaders, including a past university president. It was also an awesome opportunity for our new staff photographer Sydney, who got some of the coolest and most genuine shots of President Short-Thompson.