“She’s one of us:” Key campus figures react to new president

Sydney Bellm
Interim President Bonita Brown (left) served as the first female in a presidential role at NKU. Cady Short-Thompson (right) will be the university’s first female president.

After a search spanning several months, NKU has named Dr. Cady Short-Thompson as its seventh president. 

Short-Thompson started her career at NKU as a professor in the communication department and worked through the ranks as a public relations coordinator, graduate program director and department chair, until 2010. As former Interim President Bonita Brown pointed out in a press conference after Wednesday’s announcement, Short-Thompson will be the university’s first female president. Brown served as the first female in a presidential role at NKU.

When asked about the significance of this, the new president responded, “It is significant, and it’s time. There are young girls and boys across the Commonwealth right now seeing two women leading a major public institution.”

Short-Thompson’s official introduction was attended by many prominent campus figures, both past and present, as the proceedings lifted an air of optimism and excitement for what’s to come for the university under its new leader.

Short-Thompson’s previous tenure at NKU is a source of promise for many. Her familiarity with the campus community along with her seasoned experience in higher education make her an ideal fit. “She’s one of us,” said professor and Faculty Senate President John Farrar.

Isaiah Phillips, Student Government Association president and student regent, echoed this sentiment. The junior said that Short-Thompson’s experience in higher education, her previous tenure at NKU and living in the Greater Cincinnati region for over 50 years will help her navigate the new role. 

Many community members agreed that Short-Thompson’s appointment comes at a critical time for the university, as NKU announced a budget shortfall of $24.2 million in the fall of 2022. Shortly after this announcement, former President Ashish Vaidya made it known that he would be departing from the university. 

To combat the deficit, the university had to make significant cuts to faculty and staff members as well as scholarships, especially for international students. Students experienced a raise in tuition, housing, meal plan and parking prices for the 2023-24 academic year, as well. 

Phillips said during the search process, Short-Thompson demonstrated an intention to learn the student perspective by asking about his thoughts on current issues on campus and what he hears from other students. 

“I think—not I think—I know we got the right person. We got the right leader to bring us out of crisis,” Phillips said. 

Professor Emeritus of Communication Dr. Russell Proctor, who hired Short-Thompson at NKU in 1996, spoke highly of the new president. “Cady Short-Thompson is one of the most passionate, visionary leaders of higher education that I know,” Proctor said. “Even back then when she was chair of the department, I knew that she was destined to be president of this university. That’s how strong and deep the leadership runs in her.”

President Emeritus James Votruba held the reins during Short-Thompson’s initial tenure. The two traded praises over the course of the proceedings on Wednesday. During her acceptance speech, Short-Thompson called Votruba the university’s best president ever. 

Votruba said that Short-Thompson is the perfect person to lead the university as it wades into the future. 

“She is perfectly matched for the time. I think the match between Cady’s strengths and what this institution needs at this point in history could not be surer,” Votruba commented. “She’s gonna lift and elevate and inspire and get us ready, not to look backward but to look forward.”

As for what’s next for Interim President Brown, she plans to reassume her previous role as vice president and chief strategy officer. 

“You won’t get rid of me. I’ll still be around,” said Brown.