Melody Doss makes history with thousandth point

Melody Doss scored her 1,000th point of her NKU career from the free throw line during the second half of NKU's loss to FGCU. Northern Kentucky lost to Florida Gulf Coast 46-76 on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 at The Bank of Kentucky Center

Clayton Castle, Sports Editor

Melody Doss continues to rise up the all-time NKU scoring list this season, including becoming the 28th member of the NKU women’s basketball 1,000 points club in Saturday’s loss to Florida Gulf Coast.

The special moment happened in the beginning of the second half after Doss rebounded a missed three-pointer by Florida Gulf Coast University. Doss drove the ball down court and attempted points 999, 1,000, and 1,001 with a three-pointer. However, it fell off the mark and the Eagles rebounded.

After a layup that extended the Florida Gulf Coast lead, the ball was immediately given to Doss, who went up for a layup of her own. Florida Gulf Coast’s Taylor Gradinjan slapped more than the ball and Doss was fouled.

The only thing that stood between her and 1,000 points was two free throws.

“I kind of thought about it a little bit,” Doss said. “But, I was more focused on making them and getting back into the game.”

The first free throw was good and most of 1,000-plus fans were on the edge of their seats, awaiting a historic milestone being set by the Greenwood, Indiana native.

The second free throw was nothing but net, and Mel Doss became the newest member of an elite group of basketball players at NKU.

“I was excited, I was happy,” Doss said. “But, like I said, we had a whole other half to go, so I was more focused on getting into the game and finishing strong.”

The crowd erupted and gave Doss a standing ovation as the Bank of Kentucky Center public address announcer stated, “With that point, Melody Doss scored her 1,000th point as a NKU Norse.”

There was a small section in the stands with posters of Doss and balloon numbers saying, “1000” to celebrate the 1,000th point.

Doss went into the game with 987 career points, needing 13 for 1,000.

She nearly came close to setting the mark in the first half, scoring 11 points, including scoring eight of NKU’s first 10 points of the game. By the 15:30 mark in the first half, Doss was only five away from the historic milestone.

“It was exciting,” Doss said. “I think our teammates had a lot to do with it, coming out with a lot of energy and I think we got off to a really great start, which contributed to it.”

Doss could only muster up one more made shot in the first half, a three-pointer at the 6:35 mark, before going to the locker room sitting at 998 career points.

NKU Head Coach Dawn Plitzuweit was quick to acknowledge the feat by her senior forward.

“It’s a great accomplishment from Mel Doss’ standpoint,” Plitzuweit said. “We’re very, very excited for her and I know her teammates are as well.”

Doss entering the 1,000-point club was the one upside in an otherwise disappointing performance by the women’s basketball team, losing by 21 points, 67-46, to the top team in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Doss was also the leading scorer for the game with 15 points.

On the other sideline, Florida Gulf Coast’s Whitney Knight also scored the 1,000th point of her career on Saturday night at The Bank of Kentucky Center, scoring the Eagles’ first eight points to reach the milestone.

• Melody Doss makes history with thousandth point

#WrightStateHateWeek preview: Norse hope to remain ‘Kings of Horizon’

SOTA’s ‘Cabaret’ opens Thursday

March Madness: Norse basketball projected 14 seed

Valentine’s Day: Editor’s ideas for cheap, free last-minute plans

Steely librarian on information literacy mission

National News

Will Title IX change?

NKU food pantry battles student hunger

GALLERY: FUEL NKU moves to new home in Albright Center

REVIEW: History no longer black and white in ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’

Student Government Association: How does it work?