Doss scores 1,000th career point in loss to Florida Gulf Coast

Melody Doss scored her 1,000th point of her NKU career from the free throw line during the second half of NKU's loss to FGCU. Northern Kentucky lost to Florida Gulf Coast 46-76 on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 at The Bank of Kentucky Center

Clayton Castle, Sports Editor

Melody Doss became the 28th player in NKU women’s basketball history to score 1,000 points, while the Norse lost to the  first-place Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 67-46 on Saturday night in front of 1,684 fans at The Bank of Kentucky Center.

“It’s a great accomplishment from a Mel Doss standpoint, and I know we’re very, very excited for her,” NKU Head Coach Dawn Plitzuweit said.

Doss came into the game with 987 career points, needing 13 to reach the milestone. She came close early in the game, scoring the Norse’s first eight points, while leading the Norse on a 10-0 run in the first half to take an early 10-8 lead over the Eagles.

Doss said the first half was “exciting,” despite not reaching the 1,000-point milestone.

“I think our teammates had a lot to do with it, coming out with a lot of energy,” Doss said. “I think we got off to a really good start and that contributed to it.”

Shar'Rae Davis gets ready to shoot the ball during the first half of NKU's loss to FGCU. Northern Kentucky lost to Florida Gulf Coast 46-76 on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 at The Bank of Kentucky Center

Shar’Rae Davis gets ready to shoot the ball during the first half of NKU’s loss to FGCU. Northern Kentucky lost to Florida Gulf Coast 46-76 on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 at The Bank of Kentucky Center

Although the Norse went into the halftime down 29-21, the excitement began on the Norse’s first possession in the second half when Doss was fouled on a missed layup, sending her to the line for two free throws.

Doss said she “kind of” thought about the milestone as she was fouled, but was more focused on making the free throws.

She made both free throws and the crowd erupted, including a section in the stands holding balloon numbers to show “1000”.

“I was excited and I was happy,” Doss said. “But yet we had a whole other half to go so I was more focused on getting in the game and finishing out strong.”

Despite the excitement behind the historic milestone, the Norse defense could not keep up with the Eagle offense behind the arc, as Florida Gulf Coast went 10-for-34 from beyond the three-point line.

“Florida Gulf Coast is a very good team and I think everyone had a good chance to see that tonight,” Plitzuweit said. “I don’t think we played particularly well, but at the same time I think Florida Gulf Coast had a lot to do with that.”

Doss led the Norse in scoring with 15 points, shooting 6-for-11 from the field and 1-for-3 from beyond the arc.

The loss sends the Norse’s overall record to 13-9 and 4-3 in the conference. With the loss, the Norse fall back into third place, as Stetson beat Lipscomb earlier in the day.

The Norse return home next Saturday at 4:00 P.M. as part of the Homecoming doubleheader with the men’s basketball team, who will tip off at 7:00 P.M., against Lipscomb at The Bank of Kentucky Center.

• Doss scores 1,000th career point in loss to Florida Gulf Coast

Frey scores twice in victory over Morehead State

GALLERY: Frey’s second half goal powers Norse to victory

Men’s Soccer to host FC Cincinnati reserves in preseason match

Baseball

Walks, hit batters lead to Norse defeat in Lexington

Baseball

Norse collect second weekend sweep in Youngstown

Baseball

GALLERY: Norse sweep Grizzlies on senior day

Baseball

Norse pitching can’t handle Panther bats

Baseball

Norse split double header with Wright State

Norse Notebook: Landrum, Leigeb reflect on Horizon League tournament

McQueen steers Norse to senior day victory over Phoenix