Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

NKU's volleyball team celebrates after a NKU point against Stetson in the third set of NKU's 3-0 win against the Hatters. NKU defeated Stetson 3-0 at Regents Hall on NKU Campus on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014.

Carrie Crotzer, Sports Editor

NKU’s volleyball team took on Stetson University for the second time this season on Saturday, sweeping them in a quick three set match, winning 3-0 (25-18, 25-13, 25-23).

The match was quite the turnaround from their 3-2 loss Friday night against Florida Gulf Coast University (24-26,23-25,25-23,25-25,13-15).

The game also proved to be different than the matchup earlier in the season where Stetson swept NKU 3-0.

“It was nice to come back and respond especially after last night’s match,” Liz Hart, head volleyball coach, said. “It was good to see the girls respond, play aggressive.”

NKU's Jenna Ruble spikes the ball against Stetson in the third set of NKU's 3-0 win against the Hatters. NKU defeated Stetson 3-0 at Regents Hall on NKU Campus on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014.

NKU’s Jenna Ruble spikes the ball against Stetson in the third set of NKU’s 3-0 win against the Hatters. NKU defeated Stetson 3-0 at Regents Hall on NKU Campus on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014.

NKU started off the first two sets strong, picking them up 25-18 and 25-13 respectively.

The third set proved to be the most challenging for NKU as they struggled to maintain the lead throughout. However, NKU would be able to pick up the final set of the day 25-23.

“I think that they kind of killed us when we were down at Stetson, so we definitely kind of wanted revenge,” Mel Stewart said after the game. “I think that we were a lot more crisp and it just looked a lot better, and we needed to play better”

NKU would close the game with a hitting percentage of .306.

Jenna Ruble lead the team with 13 kills and two blocks, while Keely Creamer had 10 kills and fourth blocks. Stewart recorded 17 digs on the day.

With the win, NKU moves to 16-8 overall and 5-5 within the Atlantic Sun Conference.

The Norse next hit the road one last time for the season to take on Jacksonville and North Florida before returning home for their last two games Nov. 14 and 15.

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Baseball

Cardinals defeat NKU Baseball late in the game

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Baseball

Norse baseball split double-header against Golden Grizzlies

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Baseball

Norse baseball fall to Butler

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Featured Story

Norse softball falls to IUPUI Jaguars

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Featured Story

March Madness: NKU’s season ends against Texas Tech

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Featured Story

Going dancing: Norse defeat Wright State in Horizon Championship

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Featured Story

Norse settle score against Oakland Grizzlies 64-63

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Norse fight to take down Detroit Mercy, advance in the tournament

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

Featured Story

Preview: Norse face Titans in first round of Horizon League tournament

• Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home

NKU women’s basketball season comes to an end against IUPUI Jaguars

Volleyball sweeps Stetson at home