Golden goal brings victory on Senior Night

NKU forward Diego Martinez scores the lone goal in the double overtime game. NKU defeated Stetson 1-0 in double overtime at NKU Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014.

Carrie Crotzer, Sports Editor

NKU men’s soccer picked up their first conference win of the season Saturday night against Stetson University, winning 1-0 in double overtime.

The game started of quick for both teams with Stetson’s Marco Hjorth getting the teams first shot in the second minute and NKU getting their first shot on goal by Nick McGregor in the seventh minute.

However, the seemingly quick pace of the first ten minutes wouldn’t last the rest of the half as both teams would only have a few chances at a look on goal.

NKU would pick up two shots on goal in the second half from Diego Martinez and  McGregor but nothing would prevail for them.

Stetson’s most promising look came in the 75th minute when NKU goalkeeper Toby Frohlich came out for the ball and Stetson’s Eli Beates had a header that went wide of the goal.

The first overtime would mimic much of the first half, with neither team producing much for themselves. Action did come however when Stetson’s  Head Coach Ernie Yarborough and NKU’s Gavin Colton both received yellow cards for unrelated events late in the first overtime.

The second overtime wouldn’t last long as Diego Martinez would make his first goal of the season, and the golden goal, in the 102cd minute.

“It’s a good night for the team to have all the parent’s here and all of the family, to beat a quality opponent, it’s just a good night all around,” Head Coach John Basalyga said after the game.

Winning tonight moves the Norse to 5-8-4 on the season, and 1-3-1 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

With the closing of their home season, NKU celebrated the team’s seven seniors who will all be leaving the team at the close of the season.

Many of the seniors said that the bond of their team is what they will miss the most after their time at NKU.

“I’ll take away the camaraderie of the guys,” Nick McGregor, senior defensive player, said.

Nathan Sexton, senior midfielder, added that everyone’s got an inside joke with everybody, so it’s always a good time among the team.

Cian McDonald, senior midfielder, said his personal growth is what he feels he will take with him when he leaves.

“More of a memorable thing is how much I’ve grown over the four years,” McDonald said. “I’ve just seen myself grow so much as a person.”

Senior defender Christian Johnson said it’s their time with Coach Basalyga that will stand out the most in his memories.

“I’ll probably take most away from Bas’ awesome quotes in the morning,” Johnson said. “He says some wildest stuff I’ve ever heard in my life.”

The seven seniors and the rest of the team next go to Jacksonville to take on North Florida in their last regular season game of the year.

NKU seniors celebrate their last home game with their families. NKU defeated Stetson 1-0 in double overtime at NKU Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014.

• Golden goal brings victory on Senior Night

GALLERY: Vikings spoil Norse senior night

Video

Video | NPHC Stroll off

Presidential Update: Board meets to discuss selection process

Interim pres. signs letter urging Congress for immigration fix

Immigration town hall gives community forum on national issue

UPDATE: First-degree rape reported to campus police