Volleyball finds thrilling win over Lipscomb

NKU players celebrate after an NKU point in NKU's come from behind win. NKU defeated Lipscomb 3-2 at Regents Hall on Friday, Oct. 24, 2014.

Carrie Crotzer, Sports Editor

NKU volleyball picked up an intense 3-2 win, finding victory in the last three sets for the first time ever over Lipscomb University.

“The girls are definitely pumped. It’s probably the biggest win that we’ve had of the year, definitely the biggest win we’ve ever had in the conference, since we’ve been in the Atlantic Sun,” NKU Head Coach Liz Hart said after the game.

Jenna Ruble would pick up a career high of 21 kills, beating her previous high of 20 kills, that she picked up against Evansville earlier this season.

The game started off rough for the Norse who would be upset in the first two sets, 25-18 and 25-22 respectively.

However, things would take a turn for the better for NKU in the third set, picking it up 25-17.

The fourth set would highlight the intensity of both teams as they would battle closely through the entire set, driving the score 27-25, with NKU picking up their second set and forcing the match into a fifth and final set.

NKU would show much dominance in the fifth set picking up the win 15-9.

NKU's Keely Creamer kills the ball against Lipscomb in NKU's come from behind win. NKU defeated Lipscomb 3-2 at Regents Hall on Friday, Oct. 24, 2014.

NKU’s Keely Creamer kills the ball against Lipscomb in NKU’s come from behind win. NKU defeated Lipscomb 3-2 at Regents Hall on Friday, Oct. 24, 2014.

“To come back and win in the last three sets was tremendous,” Hart said. “I think they did a really great job of staying composed and finished the sets.”

Ruble said the team was also ecstatic with the win.

“You should have heard us in the locker room,” Ruble said. “It couldn’t have ended better for us.”

Ruble said that the team also wanted to come out and give it their all for their teammate Megan Wanstrath, who is currently out after a knee injury against Jacksonville that resulted in needing surgery.

Jayden Julian added that it made the win “10 times better when you have Megan texting us ‘I love you guys.’”

Julian also said that the team’s win tonight reassures that they are able to beat any team in the conference, they just have to set their minds to it.

NKU would close the night with a .338 team hitting percentage, with Ruble at .486, Julian at .310, and Keely Creamer at .393.

With the win tonight NKU moves to 14-7 overall, and 4-4 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

Up next for the Norse is a grueling week at home with games next Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday against Eastern Kentucky University, Florida Gulf Coast, and Stetson University.

• Volleyball finds thrilling win over Lipscomb

Norse women fall to Indiana

Gallery: Two Norse score 20 in victory over EKU

ETSU gets revenge, defeat Norse in second match-up of the season

Norse fall to Austin Peay in closing seconds

#NorseNotebook NKU defensive-minded team with high powered offense

McDonald reaches 1,000 career points in win over Morehead State

Norse crush Berea 112-33

Norse grab first victory of the season

Gallery: Norse comeback falls short against Colonials

Holland named Horizon League Player of the Week