Men’s soccer takes first conference loss

NKU's Cian McDonald shoots the ball in the second half for NKU's lone goal during NKU's 3-1 loss to FGCU. The Norse lost 3-1 to Florida Gulf Coast University at NKU Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014.

Carrie Crotzer, Sports Editor

NKU men’s soccer had their first game in a week at home Saturday against Florida Gulf Coast University, losing 3-1.

The first half started off slow for both sides with each team having equal control of the ball.

FGCU would have two corner kicks early on, but weren’t able to produce anything from either.

Christian Johnson had a shot on goal in the 26th minute off of a corner kick from Diego Martinez, but FGCU goalkeeper Nathan Ingham was able to block it.

The first goal came in the 37th minute for FGCU’s Albert Ruiz, his first goal of the season.

NKU would have another look at the goal in the 38th minute off a header from Ian O’Reilly, however it would also be saved by Ingham.

Both teams would head to the locker rooms at half time with FGCU up 1-0.

The second half started out quick with a foul coming against NKU inside of the penalty box. FGCU’s Henry Penagos would take, and make, the penalty kick, increasing the lead 2-0.

NKU's Nick McGregor shoots the ball in the second half during NKU's 3-1 loss to FGCU. The Norse lost 3-1 to Florida Gulf Coast University at NKU Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014.

NKU’s Nick McGregor shoots the ball in the second half during NKU’s 3-1 loss to FGCU. The Norse lost 3-1 to Florida Gulf Coast University at NKU Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014.

In the 52cd minute, a cluster in FGCU’s goal would result in two shots on goal for NKU by Cian McDonald and Yaw Addai, but all three were blocked.

In the 56th minute FGCU’s Rodrigo Saravia made the team’s third and final goal of the game.

NKU Head Coach John Basalyga at this point would take A.J. Fleak out of the goal for the first time this season.

NKU would manage their only goal of the game in the 78th minute off of a shot from Cian McDonald. It was the team’s first goal in over 300 minutes of playing time.

The game would end with FGCU taking the win 3-1. With the loss, NKU moves to 2-4-5 on the season and 0-1-1 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

“Florida Gulf Coast is the best team we’ve seen all year,” Basalyga said after the game. “They have a slow start, but they’re very good on the ball … They move the ball well and they’re very competitive and I appreciate the effort that the kids gave”

NKU’s next game will come at home against Marshall on Wednesday, Oct. 15.

• Men’s soccer takes first conference loss

Men’s Soccer to host FC Cincinnati reserves in preseason match

Baseball

Walks, hit batters lead to Norse defeat in Lexington

Baseball

Norse collect second weekend sweep in Youngstown

Baseball

GALLERY: Norse sweep Grizzlies on senior day

Baseball

Norse pitching can’t handle Panther bats

Baseball

Norse split double header with Wright State

Norse Notebook: Landrum, Leigeb reflect on Horizon League tournament

McQueen steers Norse to senior day victory over Phoenix

Baseball

Norse rally in seventh inning to take game three victory

Baseball

Norse attempt comeback in ninth, fall short against Raiders