NKU women’s soccer battle to a draw against Xavier

NKU goalkeeper Brooke Schocker dives for the save during NKU's 1-1 tie against Xavier. The Norse tied Xavier 1-1 at the NKU Soccer Stadium on Sept. 9, 2014.

Carrie Crotzer, Sports Editor

NKU’s women’s soccer team returned home Tuesday Sep. 9 to take on Xavier University resulting in a draw.

NKU would start the game with just 10 players on the field due to injuries on the team.

“The good news in terms of the injuries is that we had sustained multiple injuries going to to the IUPUI game,” NKU women’s soccer Head Coach Bob Sheehan said. “Based on the personnel we had remaining, we had to change our formation, so going into the Xavier game we just left it alone.”

The game would start off quick with Xavier’s first goal coming in the 13th minute.

The Musketeer’s lead wouldn’t last long though with NKU scoring less than five minutes later.

It would be redshirt junior Kelsey Laumann who would score the first and only goal of the game for the Norse.

“We knew their keeper was going to be tough to beat, we’ve seen her for a number of years,” Sheehan said. “But Kelsey did a great job getting past her.”

NKU midfielder Kelsey Laumann goes to head the ball during NKU's 1-1 tie against Xavier. The Norse tied Xavier 1-1 at the NKU Soccer Stadium on Sept. 9, 2014.

NKU midfielder Kelsey Laumann goes to head the ball during NKU’s 1-1 tie against Xavier. The Norse tied Xavier 1-1 at the NKU Soccer Stadium on Sept. 9, 2014.

Both teams would battle through the rest of the first half without any promise for either team.

Coming back strong to start the second half, the Lady Norse had a lot of promising looks against Xavier.

However, nothing would turn up for either team throughout the second half and the game would go into overtime.

In the first overtime, a yellow card would be given to Xavier’s Tori Doss for running over NKU’s goalie Brooke Schocker, who started her first game of the season.

“It was definitely an adjustment because this has been my first start since last year,” Schocker said. “But I’ve been working and I finally got it, and I feel like I capitalized on my opportunity tonight.”

Both teams would be able to take shots on goals in the second overtime, but neither team would be able to turn it into anything.

Schocker would end the night with 11 saves in the NKU goal.

“Brooke Schocker came up big,” Sheehan said. “She was very composed in the back, I thought the back line did a nice job handling the Xavier forward.”

NKU’s next game will be at home on Sunday Sep. 14 against Robert Morris at 12:30 p.m.

• NKU women’s soccer battle to a draw against Xavier

Featured Story

NKU selects Darrin Horn as men’s basketball head coach

GALLERY: Students celebrate at annual Gayla

Featured Story

Spring forum: Vaidya talks new plans, budget and enrollment

Featured Story

Ethan’s Purpose: Foundation focuses on Suicide Awareness through basketball

Cheerleading

What it takes to be an NKU Cheerleader

Featured Story

DISCONNECTED: How one NKU student gave up social media and found herself

Students share their stories at Pride Week Open Mic

GALLERY: Students show out for campus Pride March

Featured Story

Column: Who will coach Norse MBB? Our picks to replace Brannen

Review: Plot of ‘The Public’ eerily familiar for Cincinnati