NKU Welcome Center will move into University Center, new provost appointed

What you missed at the January Board of Regents meeting.

New Welcome Center

A $2 million renovation project will result in the new location of NKU’s Welcome Center in the fall of 2025, according to Ryan Padgett, assistant vice president and chief enrollment strategist. 

The new location will be in the University Center, situated on the second floor and utilizing the building’s ballroom and Otto M. Budig Theater. Padgett presented renderings and discussed the budget at the January Board of Regents meeting.

The Welcome Center currently sits at the edge of Louie B. Nunn Drive, situated between Truist Arena and an array of parking lots. This location is used to give presentations and begin campus tours for prospective new students. Padgett believes that moving the Welcome Center to the heart of campus, where prospective students won’t spend “six minutes of their tour walking through parking lots,” will be beneficial when it comes to recruiting new students. 

The renovated University Center will aim to make the building brighter, switching to ceiling and glass panes rather than cement walls. The middle staircase will feature artwork of a flame expanding from the second floor to the top of the building. A wrap-around desk will be at the base of the staircase, where the Welcome Center staff will greet visiting families.

As for what will happen to the old Welcome Center building, as asked by staff regent Cori Henderson, Padgett said it will be up to President Cady Short-Thompson to decide the best use of the facility.

Padgett emphasized that the $2 million project will not be utilizing additional university funds or take from faculty or students. Instead, the project will use asset preservation money—money set aside by the state and the university to repair and preserve current assets, such as the University Center.

Provost appointment 

Dr. Diana McGill was officially appointed to the provost position at Wednesday’s meeting. 

The new provost began her duties on Jan. 8, 2024. While McGill was approved unanimously by the board, newly-sworn in faculty regent Dr. Sandra Spataro objected to the process of the decision. 

The provost was selected by President Short-Thompson without a formal search process or consultation with the campus community. Former provost Matt Cecil transitioned into the role of “special advisor to the president” on Jan. 8. 

Spataro stated that while President Short-Thompson has the authority to choose a provost without consultation, it goes against the policies of collegiate governance. 

“Given the unprecedented nature of the decision to appoint a permanent provost, the Faculty Senate deserved at least the courtesy of a conversation,” Spataro said. “In this case, the faculty’s opinion was not sought, much less considered.”

When asked why she did not comply with the typical search process, Short-Thompson responded that she felt a sense of urgency to ensure the upcoming fiscal year’s budget will be balanced. She said a search process could have taken anywhere from six months to a year. “I felt significant pressure to move swiftly so that we can realize the needed decisions [for] a balanced budget,” the president explained.

McGill previously served as the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and has been a professor at NKU since 1993. She is also an alumni of the university, earning undergraduate degrees in biology and chemistry.

After her appointment, McGill spoke briefly, talking about how 40 years ago she walked across the stage as a graduate of NKU and it changed her life. “We are still changing lives of every student who walks across that stage,” McGill said. 

Promising to work through the university’s challenges and work collaboratively to solve problems, the new provost earned a standing ovation from the audience. 

“We have lots to do, let’s get to it,” McGill declared.