NKU braces for extreme winter weather

Emory Davis
Winter weather braced NKU two years ago, covering the campus in snow and ice.

Northern Kentucky University is taking precautions to warn students about upcoming extreme weather expected in the coming days.

An email from Tom Ramstetter, director of University Communications, listed eight ways for students to ensure their safety and comfort, as sub-zero temperatures, gusty winds and potential snow showers make their way to Northern Kentucky. 

Last year’s freezing temperatures led to burst pipes and water damage across campus, especially impacting dorms in University Suites and Norse Hall. The damage led to construction that shut down a portion of University Suites for the spring 2023 semester and displaced students to other rooms. 

The same weather conditions are expected to begin over the weekend and into early next week. Temperatures may reach as low as four degrees by Tuesday night, according to The Weather Channel.

Students should be sure to close all doors and windows, maintain thermostats at a minimum temperature of 65 degrees and verify that their heating systems are in working condition, Ramstetter wrote. 

Amid last year’s damage, Norse Hall resident Evey Cooper reported that her heating unit had not been working properly and maintenance had said there was nothing they could do until NKU turned up the boiler. 

Friday’s email also recommended that students prepare an emergency kit filled with non-perishable food, water, flashlights and blankets. 

University closing or delay information will be available via Norse Alert and NKU’s website and social media.

NKU weather alert email