Men’s soccer skims past Miners

It took almost 87 minutes, but Northern Kentucky University Men’s Soccer player Steven Beattie notched a goal, to give the Norse a 1-0 win Nov. 2 at the Town ‘ Country Sports Complex in Wilder.

Beattie’s goal was a diagonal shot from six yards out, with the assist going to Braden Bishop and Alex Allison.

The goal by Beattie was an exciting moment as his mother; Carol Beattie was in the stands from Skerries, Ireland. He ran over to her and hugged her after scoring the goal.

“It was good for me and for my mom. She came in from Ireland last week to see me play and it was good to send her home with a goal and win.”

For his mom, it was one of her most exciting experiences she has ever had.

“This is the best day of my life, next to Steven being born, it was brilliant,” she said.

Carol decided to stay an extra day to see her son play the game.

“It was well worth it,” she said. “We are always with him in spirit every game. The live stats are our lifeline and we thank those who put that up.”

Up until that point NKU head coach John Basalyga was furious on the sideline, as his team was unable to get any momentum on offense.

“Their (Miners) game plan was to sit in and let us play in front of them,” he said. “The Miners frustrated us and counterattacked us and Missouri-S’T did a good job of that.”

Basaylga felt that, “eventually someone is going to make a mistake.”

The loss for the Miners will eliminate them from postseason play, but to head coach Joe Ahearn, there is always next season.

“We will start our offseason in a week and start prepping for next season,” Ahearn said. “It was an exciting game, but Beattie made the play and got the win.”

For the Norse, they will face Bellarmine in the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament semi-finals at 5 p.m. Nov. 7 at Rockhurst University in Kansas City, Mo.

Bellarmine upset the No. 2 seeded Lewis Flyers in a shootout 10-9.

Click here for stats on the NKU/Missouri-S’T game.