Three times a lady

For the third time in the school’s history, the Northern Kentucky University Women’s Golf team has won the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament after beating Indianapolis by 10 strokes April 27 at the Kokopelli Golf Course in Marion, Ill.

Not only did the team win the tournament, but junior Sofie Rasmussen finished in first place individually, edging out Indianapolis’ Sarah Prascsak by one stroke. Rasmussen shot a 78 in the first round and a 160 combined to win the GLVC title.

“She was able to play well and that is a true statement to her ability on a difficult course,” senior Alicia Lawrence said about her teammate Rasmussen.

For head coach Daryl Landrum, the win keyed a turnaround in the spring, where the team won two of its three wins on the year.

“It was a really big win for us,” Landrum said. “To beat Indianapolis, a team that has been in the top 10 in the nation all season was big. It will be nice to see the momentum carry over to regionals.”

The Lady Norse had all five golfers finishing in the top 21 on the leaderboard.

Lawrence shot a 167 in the tournament, placing 10th overall, while freshman Charity Evans placed 14th with a 169-stroke total.

“It was awesome,” Lawrence said. “It was fun playing with these girls and for me to be on two champion teams (The Lady Norse won in her first year on the team).”

Rasmussen and junior Alicia Stauffacher were awarded All-GLVC honors, with Stauffacher earning the spot with a season scoring average of 77.76, according to the NKU Sports Information Web site.

The win by the Lady Norse was the third time this year and the second consecutive victory.

NKU will compete in the Division II East Regional at the Meadows Golf Course in Allendale, Mich., May 5-7.

“We just need to relax and play our game,” Landrum said. “The team needs to prove it in Michigan on Grand Valley State’s home course. I just think we have a good chance to come out of regionals.”