Softball splits series

The Lady Norse Softball team split a double-header with the University of Indianapolis April 13 at the Frank Ignatius Grein Softball Field at Northern Kentucky University.

In the first game, NKU (15-21, 6-10 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference) pulled ahead of the Lady Greyhounds (26-19, 12-5 in the GLVC) in the bottom of the fifth, breaking a two-all tie with four runs to propel it to a 6-3 victory.

Right-fielder Katybeth Coode led the Norse on offense, going 3-for-3 at the plate with three RBI’s and a run scored. Third baseman Cara Parker and second baseman Rose Borderick collected two hits in the game.

Lady Norse starting pitcher April Ehlers (6-10) got the win for NKU, pitching five innings, surrendering two runs on six hits, striking out six and walking three.

Chelsie Roy relieved Ehlers, nailing her second save of the season with two shutout innings.

For the Lady Greyhounds, starting pitcher Amanda Wendlinger (14-9) was the losing pitcher, throwing six innings. She gave up six runs, four earned on 10 hits, while striking out just three and walking six.

In the second game the outcome for the Lady Norse was a 2-1 loss to the Lady Greyhounds.

NKU starting pitcher Amanda Smith (6-6) was handed the loss, pitching a complete game, going seven innings, surrendering 10 hits on two runs, walking one and striking out three.

The offense struggled for the Lady Norse, as the team managed only four hits in the game.

The game was a pitching duel between Smith and Indianapolis starting pitcher Megan Gutierrez (11-9). Gutierrez also threw a complete game, giving up four hits on one run, walking one and striking out four. She also went 2-for-3 at the plate.

Next for the Norse is a non-conference double-header matchup with West Liberty State Hilltoppers (8-16) April 16 at the Frank Ignatius Grein Softball Field. First pitch is at 3 p.m.