Students run radio

Kara Simmons, Beth Coyle, Igor Ristic and Chelsea Bohl take votes on Feb. 20.

WRFN, Northern Kentucky University’s online student-run radio station, was flushed out of the bowels of the University Center and directly on to the University Center’s plaza level on Feb. 20. The station usually resides in the bottom of the UC and was exhumed for its first live remote location broadcast of the year.

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., students and faculty members could drop by for some complimentary candy, send requests or tune in to WRFN’s own ‘ear’gasmic selections. The station’s DJs also held a vote for their new name.

“We wanted students and faculty alike to take part in naming their own student radio station,” said Kaira Simmons, WRFN General Manager, DJ and Web master.

As the clock struck three, the votes were in and it was down to the last two finalists: “Radio Free Northern” against “Norse Code.” In a lopsided victory, “Norse Code” prevailed 17-5 vote over “Radio Free Northern.”

Senior speech communication major Alison Medley thought it was great that the radio station let students choose its new name.

“It brings awareness to the campus and reflects the fact that it is a student-run station,” Medley said.

WRFN broadcasts live shows Monday through Saturday and has a prerecorded playlist for Sundays. Some of the artists featured on WRFN include The Cold War Kids, Yosefa, The Talking Heads, Timbaland, Country Joe and the Fish, Violent Femmes and The Rolling Stones.

Although it’s starting small, the newly-dubbed WRFN Norse Code is motivated, with plans for expansion in the near future; including covering sports events as well as freshman orientation.

“We’re done being a glorified P.A. system, we want our name out there so people actually know we exist,” Simmons said.