Microwave Masterpieces

Leaving home to venture back to school has its downfalls and missing out on mom’s home cooking just happens to be one of the worst.

Just because hot plates and conventional ovens are prohibited from the average dorm room doesn’t mean you can’t feast like a king while typing that research paper. The microwave is just as resourceful as the oven with a slight adjustment to the recipe you can make practically anything with the push of a button.

These recipes are not only affordable, they’re also quick and are just as delicious as any home cooked meal. In fact, since less time is spent on boiling and cooking, more flavors are left absorbed within the food and the extra time will allow you to catch up on any homework or much needed sleep. And everyone knows college students are notorious for being broke.

Making your meals in a microwave is an economical method to save money and reduce leftovers, as these meals are made for two. Like any chef, make sure you have the proper utensils before you start cooking.

Mixing bowls, measuring cups, microwave safe containers and of course an oven mitt are essential. Microwave cooking has become the college students’ way of life but a boring one at that, so forget the ramen noodles, the popcorn and the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and venture for something a little more tasteful. Not only will this meal impress your friends and your taste buds, it is fast, convenient, and economical.

————————————————————————————-

Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients: 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; 3’frasl;4 cup bread crumbs; 1’frasl;4 cup Parmesan cheese; 1 egg; 2 tablespoons water; 2 tablespoons oil 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese; 1 cup spaghetti sauce.

Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with one tablespoon of oil. In a bowl, beat eggs and water together. In another bowl, mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and turn to coat. Next put chicken in the bread crumb mixture and toss to cover evenly. Once both pieces of chicken are covered in bread crumbs, place them in the oiled dish and drizzle with the other tablespoon of oil. Microwave for about two minutes, turn chicken over and microwave for another two minutes. Pour spaghetti sauce over the chicken and heat for another four minutes. With a fork, prick the chicken and check if it looks cooked all the way through. If not, put it back in the microwave. Spread cheese on top ofthe cooked chicken and microwave until the cheese is melted.

————————————————————————————–

Southwest Nachos

Ingredients: 1 (7 1/2 oz.) box of tortilla chips; 1 (16 oz.) can of refried beans; 2 (4 oz.) cans of chopped green chilies or 1 (11 1/4 oz.) jar of sliced jalapenos; 4 c. (16 oz.) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.

Spread tortilla chips with 1/2 tablespoon refried beans and place on a large microwave safe plate. Top each Nachip with chopped green chilies or sliced jalapenos. Sprinkle Nachips with cheese. For a plate of 15 nachos, microwave on High 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

————————————————————————————–

Oriental Chicken Wings

Ingredients: 8 to 10 chicken wings; 1/3 cup soy sauce; 1 cup fine cracker crumbs; 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; 1 teaspoon paprika; 1/4 teaspoon ginger; 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper.

Cut wings in half, discard tips. Rinse; pat dry with paper towels. Pour soy sauce into shallow bowl, set aside. In another shallow bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Dip chicken in soy sauce; roll in seasoned crumbs, coating evenly. Arrange chicken wings, skin side up in spoke pattern in 9-inch round glass pie plate, placing thickest portion toward outside of plate. Cover with paper towels. Use high-cycle and cook 13 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Serve hot.

————————————————————————————–

Chicken Teriyaki

Ingredients: 1/4 cup soy sauce; 2 packets ketchup; 2 tablespoons garlic powder; 3 individual packets white sugar; 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half cut in half.