Norse Volleyball sweep games

HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky. – Liz Holmes and Tristen Dye combined for 24 kills Friday night as Northern Kentucky University reached the 20-win plateau for the 13th consecutive season with a three-game sweep over Missouri-St. Louis in Regents Hall.

Holmes slammed down 11 kills and hit .647 for NKU, which won by scores of 30-18, 30-18, 30-13. The Norse improved to 20-5 overall, 8-3 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. NKU has won at least 20 matches each season since 1993.

Dye recorded 13 kills and a .318 hitting percentage as NKU remained perfect (17-0) in the all-time series against Missouri-St. Louis. The Riverwomen dropped to 5-18 overall, 5-7 in the GLVC.

Andrea Lanham picked up 41 assists, eight digs and two service aces for NKU. Lanham, a junior setter and a graduate of Notre Dame Academy, now has 3,127 career assists.

Julie Lewis added eight kills and a .357 hitting percentage as the Norse attacked at a .337 clip as a team. NKU also held Missouri-St. Louis to a -.038 hitting percentage and finished with a 51-23 advantage in digs.

NKU is tied for eighth place in the latest NCAA II Great Lakes Region poll. The top eight teams in that poll will advance to the NCAA Division II Tournament in November. Grand Valley State is currently No. 1 in the NCAA II Great Lakes Region, followed by No. 2 Rockhurst and No. 3 Southern Illinois at Edwardsville.

The winner of the GLVC Tournament, which will be played on the campus of the No. 1 seed Nov. 10-12, receives an automatic berth to the NCAA Division II Tournament.

SIUE is in second place in the GLVC standings followed by NKU. Rockhurst is in first place in the GLVC.

In Saturday’s game, Liz Holmes put on a thunderous attacking exhibition Saturday afternoon as Northern Kentucky University rolled past Quincy in a three-game sweep.

Holmes slammed down 15 kills and finished with a .619 hitting percentage as NKU defeated Quincy, 30-18, 30-18, 30-17, in Regents Hall. The sophomore middle hitter converted the 15 kills in 21 attempts with just two errors, and many of her attacks were rocket-like shots that hit the court before Quincy’s defense could react.

Holmes and Tristen Dye combined for 22 kills during the first two games, and NKU coasted past Quincy (4-16 overall, 2-11 GLVC) for the victory.

NKU served up 11 aces as a team and finished with a 49-27 advantage in digs.

NKU is tied for eighth place in the latest NCAA II Great Lakes Region poll. Southern Indiana and Northern Michigan are tied with NKU for the eighth spot in the poll.

The Norse hit the road next weekend for GLVC matches at Saint Joseph’s (Friday) and Indianapolis (Saturday).

*Article contributed by Sports Information