Groovy silent disco takes over SU ballroom Tuesday night

The lights were down, energy was up and the music was bumping at the Center for Student Engagement’s Silent Disco—well, only in the attendees’ headphones of course. 

As you stepped into the SU ballroom Tuesday night, you were met with dance club lighting, hallucinating TV light displays and the occasional sounds of students’ feet shuffling to music curated by two live DJs playing classic early 2000s and trending music, among many other well-known student hits. 

The silent disco was the second event of the Center for Student Engagement’s “Norsechella,” which included an entire week-long itinerary to celebrate NKU’s 2024 homecoming, closing off with the final event being the men’s basketball game against Wright State University Raiders on Sunday, Feb. 4.

@northernermedia Northern Kentucky University’s Norsechella showed out with Silent Disco on Tuesday night, uniting students in the Student Union Ballroom for electric music and dancing. Video by Liam Barker #nku #thenortherner #studentjournalism #silentdisco ♬ original sound – The Northerner

Tyana Rasberry, a sophomore criminal justice major and an organizer of Silent Disco, explained how she hopes students can let loose and enjoy the annual event. 

“We spent our retreat this fall semester planning events all out for this semester, and the silent disco is one of our traditions that could be done, so we came back with it [this year],” said Rasberry, who currently serves as the vice president of internal affairs for the Activities Programming Board (APB). “I hope students have a really fun time, and I hope that it adds to their college experience.” 

The event featured first-time silent disco goers, including Kyle Ollier, a senior communication studies major who was excited about the event’s music not being played out loud. 

“The novel idea of no overhead music playing [is the most exciting],” Ollier said. “It is all in your head and ears mainly.” 

Other students, like Abby Gordon, a sophomore radiologic science major, attended an NKU Greek life silent disco previously and were drawn to the event from her previous positive experience at one. 

“Last year, Delta Zeta did a silent disco and everybody had a great time and I also just like music. We are having so much fun!” Gordon said. 

The homecoming festivities aren’t over just yet—click here to see all of the events you can attend this week.