NKU Homecoming 2024: What to expect from Norsechella

Homecoming 2024 combines traditional elements of past years’ festivities with new activities, with the hopes of fostering student engagement on campus and showing school support and community during NKU’s Spirit Week.
Provided | NKU MARCOMM
Fans in NKU’s student section cheer with excitement at the homecoming game in January 2023.

UPDATE— Saturday’s NPHC Step Show has been cancelled, according to the Center for Student Engagement.

The Center for Student Engagement and the Homecoming Committee bring the celebration theme “Norsechella,” inspired by the Coachella music festival, to influence activities and slogans for this year’s overarching concept motif including window and banner painting, homecoming kickoff and silent disco night. 

Scheduled events

Monday, Jan. 29 initiates festivities with student organization window, banner and helmet painting competitions and the first ever homecoming kickoff event. This event takes place in the first floor of the Student Union (SU) from 8-10 p.m. featuring activities for students, like Build-a-Bear, a photo booth, karaoke, an arts and craft room, games, a DJ and food trucks offering free food. 

Tuesday, Jan. 30 features the silent disco night starting at 7 p.m. in the SU Plaza. 

Wednesday, Jan. 31 the Activities Program Board is hosting and sponsoring their “Wildn’ Out event,” which takes place at 6 p.m. in the SU Ballroom.

Thursday, Feb. 1 continues festivities with a FUEL NKU giveaway, which will include items donated by students. The Black Alumni Council Junior/Senior Conversations event takes place on Thursday at 6 p.m. in SU 109.  

Friday, Feb. 2 features the NKU women’s basketball game against Oakland University at 7 p.m. in Truist Arena, as well as the announcement of sophomore/junior homecoming royalty during halftime. Black Alumni Council’s Sneakerball will also take place on Friday at 9 p.m. at the Campus Rec Center. Tickets are available online. 

Saturday, Feb. 3 features the Black Alumni Council Homecoming Giveback at 9:30 a.m. at the Avondale Boys and Girls Club where students can volunteer. The Alumni Awards Dinner and Celebration happens in the SU Ballroom at 6 p.m. NPHC Homecoming Step Show at Regents Hall will take place on Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets are required for admission. 

Sunday, Feb. 4 features a homecoming tailgate party beginning at 10 a.m. in parking lot D by the Welcome Center, which gives students a chance to connect and celebrate with student organizations and alumni associations. NKU men’s basketball game against Wright State University at 2 p.m. in Truist Arena and the announcement of senior homecoming royalty during halftime finalizes the festivities of the week. 

Tickets for both basketball games can be claimed online through Athletics, and students get free admission with their student IDs. 

Throughout the week, students are encouraged to dress to show school spirit, and prizes will be awarded for best supporting outfit of the day. Hanson Nguyen, coordinator of Center for Student Engagement and Orientation, hopes that this will foster a community feeling and a new type of spirit week during homecoming. 

Most of the homecoming week events are supported and organized by the Center for Student Engagement and a student homecoming advising committee with co-advisors Nguyen and Caitlin Townsend. 

Nguyen stated that homecoming planning and organization takes so much behind the scenes work, but he hopes students enjoy the events and celebrate their school and community this week. “I see homecoming as a great time to show school spirit and be excited for your school and do all these fun activities,” Nguyen said.

Homecoming royalty for both sophomores/juniors and seniors will be announced during the homecoming basketball games.

Homecoming royalty

Student organizations across campus nominated 44 students this year for homecoming royalty. The student body then voted for their top five candidates, shrinking the royalty pool to 30 students: 15 sophomore/juniors and 15 seniors, according to credit hours. Those students are then narrowed down to 10 per category through interviews by a judging panel of faculty, staff and alumni on the criteria of GPA, resume effectiveness, interview skills, community involvement and a submitted essay. The selected 10 students will be recognized at the appropriate basketball game and two of each group will be crowned royalty with a medallion and sash.   

Bella Campbell, a senior human resource management major, was nominated on behalf of Norse Leadership Society. She encouraged freshman students to step outside of their comfort zone, make new friends and get involved in NKU’s community. “When I first came to campus, I didn’t know a single person, [but] fast forward and now I’m involved in several organizations, have two jobs on campus that I very much love, and I have so many amazing friends that go here and am so connected to the faculty and staff,” Campbell said. 

Ragan Savage, a senior majoring in theatre and representing the cheerleading team, said she is a transfer student fairly new to NKU but feels that NKU has welcomed her with open arms. NKU is a “hidden gem,” and provides so many opportunities, Savage said. Homecoming week is “a great chance to meet new people and build friendships,” with current students, alumni, as well as NKU faculty and staff. 

Michael Bewaji, an international student from Nigeria who is a sophomore majoring in engineering physics, was nominated by the Presidential Ambassadors and advised students to “connect with people, step outside your comfort zone, especially with faculty. They have so much to give.” Bewaji sees homecoming as a perfect opportunity to make meaningful connections with others and meet NKU alumni and leadership.