Homecoming 2024 kicks off with a bang

Dozens of NKU students made their way to the Student Union at 8 p.m. Monday to take part in the Center for Student Engagement’s latest pursuit to produce an event for the start of NKU’s 2024 Homecoming. Aptly named Homecoming Kickoff, numerous activities spread throughout the first floor of the Student Union gave students the opportunity to enjoy free food and games. 

Those who joined in on the homecoming festivities were able to participate in various enterprises including inflatable jousting fights, an impromptu spike ball match, group Kahoot competitions, an elusive karaoke room, dancing to music from a hired DJ and more.

Outside the Student Union, three food trucks offered a free meal to students who signed into the event through NKU’s MyEngagment and obtained a ticket. BBQ pulled pork and chicken, seafood and waffles were some of the options that could be chosen from.   

A favorite feature of the kickoff for freshman Lindsey McMenemy was the very popular Marty’s Waffles food truck. McMenemy said that getting the salted caramel waffle ended up being her favored activity of the night.

Goats, bears and other animals also made an appearance at the kickoff. A free Build-a-Bear station was available for attendees and maintained a sizable line throughout the night. A popular sight nearing the end of the kickoff was students carrying their unstuffed animals, however. Junior transfer student Jacob Rash was in line when supplies started to run low. “I didn’t get to [build-a-bear], there was somebody who said they were running out. And another person behind me really wanted to do it. So I just went ahead and let them do it. And honestly, [mine] was just going to be for my dog.” 

An eye-catching set-up was placed in the corner of the ball room: a 360-degree photo booth, which as freshman Cheyenne Wright explained, had students “stand on a platform with a cell phone that went around us in a slow motion video.” Wright said that her and her friends enjoyed wearing silly costume items and posing for the video. 

In the Student Union ballroom, a large line formed in front of a table of a very particular offered venture. Many students were walking around with a sheet of paper that contained a sketch of themselves. A caricature artist sat giving free portraits for those willing to wait. 

As the night grew, the DJ played function favs to get the crowd involved. Dancing to “Cotton Eyed Joe,” “Cupid Shuffle” and “Cha-Cha Slide” ensued. 

To see what other activities are planned for this week, click here.