Summer ends, campus news coverage continues

Here we are. The Northerner’s back in action. After a summer of position changes, absences and adding new staff members, a new publication date and big changes at the university, we are still ready to serve the campus as a go-to news source, but we’re hoping for some more input.

First off, I want to introduce myself as the new editor-in-chief. Our new managing editor is Brandon Barb, who made sure the publication ran smoothly over the summer while I was interning in Colorado.

Brandon played a major role in our new adviser selection. After weeks of deliberation, the search committee decided on journalism professor and newspaper veteran Michele Day; we’re happy to have her here to help.

Although we’re still getting comfortable in our new seats, we want to provide you with proper coverage of news, sports and on and off campus events. And good thing too, with NKU’s changes — transition to Division I, a new president and, of course, some more construction — it’s our job to make sure you’re informed.
Every week you can pick up a copy on Thursday mornings and see not only what happened already that week, but also get some ideas of how to spend your weekend and next week. The news will continue to cover as many departments on campus as we can handle.

We’re here to serve all of the students, faculty and staff at NKU, so help us do that. Let us know if your student organization has events coming up or if you heard something great a student or professor has recently accomplished. Is your band playing at a local bar this weekend? We want to know, so we can cover it and let everyone else know about it.

Want to see more coverage of a certain department or campus trend? Email us, call us, find a writer you know and tell them or even stop in to our newsroom in Founders Hall 314.

For your first chance of the year to meet us, come to Fresh Fusion Friday afternoon. Also, look for more content online at thenortherner.com. Our website is going to be more active than ever before with daily updates of campus happenings. Get to the site through our Facebook (The Northerner) and Twitter (@northernermedia).