So long and thanks for…

Dammit, I don’t want to leave.

I never thought I’d be saying that.

When I joined this staff as a freshman, I intended to stay a staff writer or assistant designer. I didn’t want to touch professional cameras, Mac computers, Photoshop or investigative news stories. Now, here I am, sitting at the editor-in-chief’s desk. And I’ve done all of those things.

There are quite a few people who had a hand in me making it this far. It began with student mentors like Mark Payne and moved on to Jesse Call and Cassie Stone.
Call and Stone taught me the value of hard-hitting news, to always retain self-respect and to stand by what I believe in. They also handed me a camera and reporter’s notebook and told me to suck it up.

To my staff, I love you. I’d stare down a train for you. You’re strong, talented and determined. Hold tight to those characteristics — people won’t know how to handle you.
As far as NKU staff/professors, there are a few of those as well. Gayle Brown, who is now at the University of Cincinnati, helped me gain a thick skin and encouraged me to constantly challenge myself; losing her sucked.

Jacque Day has been an amazing adviser, always advocating for the truth and constantly reminding the students on The Northerner of our value. She stays strong against pushes for prior review and respects our judgment — I can’t thank her enough for that.

Jacqueline McNally. I really don’t know what to say about her; she’s too wonderful for words. She’s an outstanding professor, who takes time for each of her students, and treats them with respect. NKU could learn a thing or two from her – they need more like her.

My final farewell goes to the ones that make it difficult for student journalists. The ones that hide the truth, hang up the phone on us, degrade us and turn their collective back on us. Thanks. You taught me how to fight, and why I should.