Best scary movies

Jennifer Parker
My favorite scary movie would have to be the original “Friday the 13th.”
Don’t ask me why because it’s not even funny. Its a train wreck and you can’t help but look and keep watching 😉

Claire Higgins
My favorite scary movie is “Saw 1” because it has always kept me on the edge of my seat (where in most scary movies, I get bored and figure out the end half way through) and cringing with every nasty, gory scene after nasty, gory scene. And Jigsaw riding on the creepy tricycle gets me every time. So does that ending.

Brandon Barb
“Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.”
I became obsessed with this demented barber when I watched the 1982 Broadway production on DVD. I fell in love with the story, the characters and the songs. My obsession included seeing the musical at the Aronoff then seeing Tim Burton’s film with Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd. There is just so much in this story–there is comedy, love, revenge, and what makes this eligible for this list — horror and gore. This play/movie just drips raw emotion; it draws you in and leaves you wanting to watch it again and again.

Karli Wood
“Halloween” (Directed by Rob Zombie). It’s my version of “The Notebook;” I could watch it over and over. I love the way Zombie toys with the audience’s emotions. He injects background information, and sets the movie apart from most horror flicks in that it actually has a plot. Plus, I love the way Zombie shoots. His films feel so raw and grungy that it’s easy to immerse yourself in them. By the end, I always find myself rooting for Myers.

Tabitha Peyton
Though I have never seen a single “Halloween” movie from the series fully, those are by far the scariest movies! The Michael Myers mask haunts me every time I even see or think about it. To me, that’s the definition of a scary movie!

Alysha Durrett
My favorite scary movie has got to be Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Sure it’s not really scary, but it still features skeletons, vampires, and a creepy clown. Not too mention the awesome songs (and remakes) and even when you watch it now and see the string holding up the flying bats it’s still an awesome movie. All hail the Pumpkin King!

Emily Christman
It’s a tie between “Baby Geniuses,” “Thankskilling,” and “Evil Dead. “I’ll go with Evil Dead because it’s a B-movie classic and Bruce Campbell is, well, the epitome of all things beautiful. Who doesn’t love evil ancient Egyptian books bound in human flesh and inked in human blood? Who doesn’t love a chiseled chin and Karo syrup and food dye? I appreciate the low-budgeted film because of Raimi’s (and cast’s) dedication. It shows what people can do with a thin wallet and a drive to create films.

Vern Hockney
“DEVIL.” Although I am not a huge M. Night Shyamalan fan, but this is a perfect balance of scared out of your pants fear, suspense and psychological thrill!

Mark Payne
My favorite scary movie is “28 Days Later.” I know Bill said that was his too, so I’ll settle for “28 Weeks Later,” as well. Collectively, they are the best zombie movie ever. I’ll fight to the death over it.

Elizabeth Parsons
Mine would probably be “It”–the adaptation from the Stephen King novel.

Brittany Granville
“You’ve got red on you.” My favorite “scary” movie is “Shaun of the Dead!” It’s a British film about one lovable loser’s attempt to survive a zombie outbreak with his friends, Mom (or is it “Mum”?), step-dad, and ex-girlfriend inside his favorite pub. Shaun of the Dead has been described as a Romantic Comedy with Zombies, or a ZombRomCom. There are so many hilarious moments within this film, ranging from physical humor, to subtle, to fun, to quirky. It’s also slightly gory and actually pretty scary at times, not forgetting that it is a zombie movie. One of my favorite scenes is when Shaun is riding the bus, and doesn’t seem the realize that the usual commuters had become mindless zombies. Showing some the film’s symbolism and depth by suggesting that there isn’t much difference between the two. It’s loads of fun, and if Shaun of the Dead has taught me anything, it’s that in order to survive a zombie apocalypse, all you need is a pub, your best friends, a rugby bat, and Queen’s “Can’t Stop Me Now” playing in the background.

Matthew Brewer
My favorite scary movie of all time is the original “Nightmare on Elmstreet” because it terrified me as a child and Freddy Krueger is really creepy looking.

Derick Bischoff
My all time favorite scary movie is “The Crazies!” The intense action scenes and the fact the government is out to stop all things happy makes this movie a helluva a good time! Warning: watch with the lights on!

John Minor
I have never seen a scary movie nor do I ever want to see one.

Daniel Townsend
“Evil Dead 2” is my favorite horror film of all time. It shows that you don’t need a huge budget to make a quality film. Also, it combines spine tingling thrills with clever, dark humor. One of the best B-movies ever made!

Bill Fisher
“28 Days Later” is probably my favorite scary movie. I don’t like blood and stuff, but enjoy the psychological insight that zombie movies sometimes present – and that this one does well.

Jesse Call
My favorite scary movies would have to be any of the M. Night Shymalan films I have seen. Shut up, I know you are beyond his cliche wisdom. Congratulations to you. These movies are not afraid to explore the real source of fear in human existence–the fear of dealing with the past. Like Vern, I was particularly fond of “Devil” as well as “Signs.” My least favorite would have to be “The Happening,” although that scene where the crazy hillwoman slams her face through the glass is fun.