Across the University

Deadline to join English honor society approaching
The deadline to apply and pay dues to join Sigma Tau Delta is Nov. 2. Initiation will be Nov. 11 at the society’s annual dinner.

Sigma Tau Delta is an international English honor society for students with exemplary academic achievement in the English major. Students are selected based on total semester hours of university work, number of hours of work completed in English, and GPA in English classes.

Chase student wins wildlife conservation writing contest

A Chase Law student, Bijaya Shrestha, won the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies 2011 Wildlife and Conservation Law writing competition.

Her article, “Holy Jumping Fish Batman! The Asian Carp Invasion,” focuses on the Asian carp invasion of the U.S. river system. Shrestha will have the opportunity to present her paper at the annual conference in Nashville, Tenn.

Position created to educate campus about discrimination

To comply with regulations outlined by the U.S. Education Department and the Civil Rights Office, NKU Student Affairs has appointed Ann James, associate director of University Housing, as Title IX Coordinator.

As Title IX Coordinator, James will develop gender discrimination and sexual misconduct programming and educational services, and research the Title IX federal mandates to make sure NKU is in compliance with regulations.

James will also respond to student concerns and students who are victims of sexual misconduct.

Student loan payments will soon be on the decline

The Obama Administration has announced a new plan that is designed to increase college affordability and make it easier to manage student loan debt.

In 2012, the “Pay As You Earn” proposal expects to allow about 1.6 million students to cap loan payments at 10 percent, and all borrowers will be able to cap payments in 2014.
The new plan will forgive loan debt after 20 years, as opposed to 25 years as the current law states.
About 6 million students and recent graduates will also have the opportunity to consolidate student loans and reduce interest rates starting in January 2012.