Preparing for the next: NKU baseball battles in tough loss against Wright State

Innings 1-4

Even with an impressive out-of-the-park home run to kick off the game by outfielder Treyvin Moss, the Norse fell short in their three game series against the Wright State Raiders.

The game began strong with NKU leading the way with a 1-0 score in the first inning, but due to an error in the infield, the Raiders were able to get a player on base and advance to second base. With one out in the second inning, Wright State was able to steal third and advance a run to home after a single to left field. 

At the top of the second, the Norse had lost their lead and were tied with the Raiders 3-3 after a Wright State home run. After several single hits and a walk, pitcher and outfielder Logen Devenport was able to make his way around the bases and score, advancing their lead once again 4-3. 

The Raiders made their way up to bat at the start of the third inning and ended up on first base immediately after a walk. Both teams battled equally, with no runs and zero errors by the end of the stretch into the top of the fourth. 

Innings 4 & 5

Several walks and singles pushed Wright State ahead, now leading 7-4. Taking their turn at the plate and looking for vengeance,  Norse left fielder Peyton Lane hit a double to left field. Similarly, Moss got a double to left-center, getting an RBI and advancing Lane to home, making the score 7-5 with NKU slowly creeping behind. 

An intentional walk of Liam McFadden-Ackman and a double to center field by catcher Jake Paulick once more tied the teams 7-7 at the bottom of the fourth. The Raiders decided it was time for a pitching change as they rounded out the fourth inning. 

Two doubles by Wright State at the start of the fifth inning put NKU in a rough spot, with two more walks that resulted in the bases being fully loaded. A smashing grand slam by Wright State sent all four players across the plate, making it 12-7 and giving them a six-point lead. 

Five runs in the fifth inning pushed the Norse to get their team on base. Lane and Cleary Simpson walked, advancing Lane to second. With Moss at bat, Simpson and Lane made their way home after an error put Moss on first. The score was 12-9 by the end of the fifth.

Innings 6 & 7

Pitcher Andrew Mulhern stepped in to relieve Jake Teke, making for a quick three outs, striking out two Raiders and securing an infield pop fly with no runs in the top of the sixth inning. A single by second baseman John Odom and a ground hit by outfielder Tyler Shaneyfel gave the Norse a glimpse of hope to regain the lead. 

Following this, designated hitter Mitch Wood cracked a double to center field, keeping him on second base. However, a double play soon took out Odom at first base and Shaneyfelt at second, and a pop-fly to center field by Lane gave Wright State the advantage at the bottom of the sixth.

The seventh inning proved to be difficult for the Norse, with multiple hits including a home run, several walks and doubles, making the score now 15-9. Desperate for a change, head coach Dizzy Peyton swapped out pitcher Andrew Mulhern for Aaron Massie. Massie intentionally walked his first at bat, and a pop-up to shortstop ended the top of the seventh.

Back at bat, shortstop Brennan Rowe and Simpson both lined out to the infield, with two outs down. Moss singled to center field, but was unsuccessful in securing a run as McFadden-Ackman hit a ground out to third base, ending the inning. 

Innings 8 & 9

With two innings to go and Wright State kicking off the eighth, a win did not look hopeful for the Norse. After a ground out to second base and a home run, the Raiders secured another run, now 16-9. A strikeout and an out at second after a stealing attempt put NKU back in the dugout. 

The Raiders walked Paulick, but struck out both Odom and Shaneyfel after a pitching change. Colton Kucera walked to the batter’s box pinch hitting for Wood, but struck out as well, ending the eighth. 

The final inning of the game was successful for the Norse, but not enough to clinch the win. Defensively, no runs were scored by the Raiders, even with a ground hit to third base, a single to center field and a walk. NKU maintained the score as they took their final turn at bat.

After an error by Wright State, Lane made his way to first as Rowe entered the batter’s box. A single to right center field would then send Lane to third. With both Lane and Rowe on first and third, Simpson would ground out to second base, advancing Rowe to second and Lane to home plate, making the score now 16-10.

Moss took a swing and a hit to right field, allowing Rowe to also cross home plate. The Raiders opted for a last minute pitching change, as McFadden-Ackman stepped up to the plate. Throughout his time at bat, Moss stole both second and third, aiming for a final run. McFadden-Ackman walked, and a pop-up to second base by Paulick would make for two outs. 

A stolen base by McFadden-Ackman would put him at second base as Odom took the final hit for NKU in their battle against Wright State. Unfortunately, he was beaten to first base which would end the game for 16-11 for the Norse. 

Final Thoughts

Head Coach Dizzy Peyton saw Saturday’s loss as a chance to bounce back and prepare his team for future games. “We have a game on Tuesday, and like I said, we’ll play one pitch at a time and that’s how we do it, you know it’s been working out for us well,” said Peyton.

A key player and leader in the game for not only RBI’s but also hits, slugging and on-base percentages was graduate student Treyvin Moss, who started off the game with a home run. 

“Obviously the loss is tough, but it’s a new day tomorrow and for the next game we have to get ready and prepare,” Moss said as he described what was going through his mind throughout the game. “So that’s what we’re going to do.”

When talking about the environment in the dugout, pitcher and senior Ben Gerl mentioned that there is overwhelming positivity and support that is shared among those that are not on the field with those that are. 

“It’s always fun you know, especially when you’re not expected to perform, and you get to put a little bit more effort into cheering on the guys that are performing,” said Gerl. “Just knowing my role and knowing that’s what I need to do that day helps the team succeed.” 

The Norse play again at 2 p.m. at home on Tuesday versus Union College.