Marques Warrick becomes NKU all time leading point scorer

NKU Norse defeated Detroit Mercy Titans 79-67
Hailey Roden
Marques Warrick in action against Detroit

Saturday afternoon proved to be a day for the history books as senior Marques Warrick claimed his place as NKU’s all time leading point scorer.

The guard from Lexington, KY overtook Drew McDonald’s 2,066 points when he scored 22 points against Detroit, bringing his career total to 2,069.

Coach Darrin Horn recruited Warrick from Henry Clay High School in Lexington, where he was also the all time leading point scorer. 

“You don’t do what he’s done without a tremendous amount of hard work and battling a ton of adversity,” said Horn.

He believes a lot of Warrick’s success can be attributed to his character, “I have never seen him act up, complain to a ref and he is able to take hard coaching.”

Warrick leaving the court after making history at NKU

A record like Warrick’s is special to Horn, especially in an era where the transfer portal causes players to move between programs rather than stay for all four years.

“I am really happy for Marques and his mom, and that he was able to do it in a win and at home,” said Horn.

Yesterday’s game wasn’t always easy going for Warrick as he failed to convert any of his eight three-point attempts.

“How about this? Zero made threes today. I don’t know if that’s happened for him since he’s been here. But he was still about to get twenty plus points as he got himself to the foul line,” said Horn. 

With less than five minutes remaining in the second half, Warrick was fouled at the three-point line. The crowd rose to their feet as the senior took his shot at history.

“Everybody was on their feet, and I knew I had to make those free throws,” said Warrick.

All three shots found the basket, and Truist Arena erupted as they witnessed history being made.

“I loved that it happened on the free throws, we’ve been encouraging him to get to the foul line,” said Horn.

Senior Trey Robinson was recruited alongside Warrick, signing for NKU on the same day. The two guards played against one another in high school and have been close ever since.

“I’m beyond proud of him, he’s my brother and I’m glad he could do it at home. I wouldn’t want anyone else to do it,” said Robinson.

The home crowd was behind Warrick throughout the entire game, as they awaited the possibility of the record being made.

The most special members of the crowd for Warrick were his family and his mom.

When asked what it meant to have his family there the senior was overcome with emotion, “It meant everything to me, as they’ve been by my side since day one.”

Warrick pictured with his mother after the game

Warrick’s close relationship to his mother allowed him to keep believing, even though he was under recruited out of high school. “My mom was right there telling me to be patient, I was just waiting on offers to come in and they weren’t. I stayed patient and it did,” said Warrick.

He hopes to turn professional once he graduates, “Since day one, since I was a little kid this is what I knew I wanted to do,” said Warrick.

The Norse will now hit the road and travel to number one ranked Green Bay on Wednesday, Feb. 14.

The game will begin at 7 p.m. and also be broadcast live on ESPN+.

NKU’s next home game is Thursday Feb. 22. at 7 p.m. against Cleveland State.