Overtime Thriller: NKU beats number one ranked Oakland

Michael Bradley leads point scoring during standout performance
Brooke Bihl
Michael Bradley in action

The NKU Norse men’s basketball team turned their losing streak around Thursday night as they hosted the Oakland Golden Grizzlies at Truist Arena.

The Norse have struggled with confidence, losing their last three match-ups and went into the game sixth in the Horizon League with a 6-6 record.

Their opponent, the Golden Grizzlies were 10-3 in conference play so far and first in the league.

The game would prove a knockout, fastpaced and physical.

Graduate student Michael Bradley posted his best performance of the season, with a personal high of 26 points, eight assists and one turnover.

“We believe in each other as a team, my teammates put me in great positions. It’s an amazing feeling to play for a team that puts the ball in my hands and believes in me,” said Bradley.

Team huddle

Coach Horn believes Bradley’s mid-range game has allowed the guard to get to his jump shot from one or two dribbles, spotting gaps in Oakland’s defense.

“We have been encouraging him to be aggressive offensively, and it feels like he’s back to being confident and comfortable in doing that,” said Horn.

Senior Trey Robinson was a pillar of strength for NKU in key moments against the Golden Grizzlies. A standout play would see the guard sprint out, transition and regain possession as well as two free throws.

“When Trey plays like that we’re a much better team, and I thought he was fantastic tonight,” said Horn.

Robinson attributed his success on the court to his teammates, “My teammates were finding me in the middle when there were a lot of open spots, and they helped me get in there and make some easy ones.”

Thursday night saw the confident Norse return, as they came together to dominate the Golden Grizzlies in overtime.

“We all trust each other and have a bond off the court. Our chemistry was never lost, and we keep working at it day by day,” said senior Marques Warrick.

Marques Warrick shooting a free throw

Warrick had another strong performance for the Norse, with 20 points and four assists.

Warrick currently stands at 2,047 career points for NKU and is only 19 points away from the all-time leading point scorer for NKU, Drew McDonald. 

“I think it would be great for him to do in front of the home crowd. I know it means a lot to Ques to have the opportunity to do it at home for NKU and the fans,” Horn said about the record.

The Norse will host Detroit Mercy, who sit last in the Horizon League on Saturday, Feb. 10.

The game will begin at 4 p.m. and also be broadcast live on ESPN+.