Men’s Basketball Wins at Home on Academic Recognition Night

On Thursday night, NKU men’s basketball won against Horizon League team, the Milwaukee Panthers. Before this matchup the Panthers were ranked third in the league compared to the Norse who were ranked fifth. 

During this game, the NKU athletic department recognized their athletes for their academic success. Head coach for NKU men’s basketball program Darrin Horn mentioned the recognition saying, “I think people forget with all the talk in college athletics right now, at the end of the day we show up everyday, guys are still getting an education.”

NKU student athletes got recognized during the basketball game for academic successes.

During half time of the game, all NKU athletes with a GPA of 3.5 or higher took center court in front of Norse fans in honor of the hard work they put in the classroom. 

The starting five for the Norse during the Thursday night game included senior Trey Robinson, senior Marques Warrick, graduate student Michael Bradley, sophomore Keeyan Itejere and sophomore LJ Wells. 

With one of NKU’s star players Sam Vinson out for the season with an injury, many of NKU’s players have had to step up in a bigger role for the Norse to win games. 

Michael Bradley had a season high of 18 points in Thursday’s game against Milwaukee. (Hailey Roden)

Bradley had a season high during this game with a total of 18 points, zero turnovers and five steals. On top of Bradley’s season highs, he played 29 minutes for the Norse. Bradley talked about what could have changed to make him play well in this game stating, “ I don’t really think anything has changed.” He then went on to say, “We know the work that we put in day in and day out so we just believe in each other.”

Trey Robinson shooting a free throw during the Milwaukee game.

Senior Trey Robinson, who is also considered a captain for his team, had a season high of 10 rebounds against the Panthers and also contributed five assists. Playing 36 minutes during the matchup, Robinson talked about his mindset going into the game stating, “Going at them physically, trying on the offensive and defensive glass and seeing what I could get.” 

Coach Horn talked more about Robinson stating, “ With Trey, it begins and ends with his focus and energy.” Robinson ended the night with a double double with 12 points on the board. 

This season the Norse are also seeing freshman Randall Pettus II getting positive playing time. After the game, Horn talked about the freshman, admiring his confidence in his skill while in a game. Horn explained that it can be difficult for a freshman to join a division one team and have the confidence to put up shots during a game, but that is no issue for Pettus.

Freshman Randall Pettus II played 24 minutes against Milwaukee. (Hailey Roden)

The final score of the game was NKU 90, MKE 72.

The next game for the Norse will be attended by the biggest crowd of the season in Truist Arena as the Norse take on the Green Bay Phoenix Saturday, Jan. 20.

The game is a double header as the NKU women’s basketball team plays against Wright State at 4 p.m.  The men’s basketball team plays later Saturday night at 7 p.m.