My home away from home

Shelby Porter, a freshman on NKU’s volleyball team, moved from Grand Rapids, Michigan three months ago to attend Northern Kentucky University. Volleyball has been a guide for Porter, as the move was not super comfortable initially. 

The Move

Porter chose Northern Kentucky because of the strong immediate connection she felt toward the people. 

“I met one girl who introduced me to seniors who really set the team dynamic, making it absolutely awesome, and the coaches had great things in store for me compared to other places,” Porter said.

She found herself relating Northern Kentucky to Michigan in little ways. She shops here like she did back at home and noticed the fact the seasons are very different. In October, Northern Kentucky is 70 degrees while Michigan is 50 degrees. 

The first week exploring NKU soon became a distraction from her distance to home. This distraction was a great thing until Porter sat back and realized what was at home. 

Shelby smiling with her teammates at NKU.

Starting to Settle

After a long game at the beginning of the season in which NKU won, volleyball players who had family close to campus went home to take a mental break from the stress. Porter suddenly felt how far away her home was. 

With the busy schedule and distance from home, she noticed herself wanting to watch fall football and do the things she and her family had done for years, but it was something she wouldn’t be able to change any time soon. 

“Sometimes when I have a long day or I am physically exhausted I just want my home, like other people have,” Porter said.

Porter’s friends stated they were also experiencing the same things. “Shelby and I have been able to hang out and grab dinner to talk when one of us is homesick or having a tough week, and it is nice to have a friend to talk to,” said Madison Tracy, a freshman volleyball player. 

Many players have felt the same way as Porter in the past, and the transition of moving hours away and adapting to a busy lifestyle may not be easy for everyone. 

Abby Kanakry, a sixth-year volleyball player, is also from Michigan and sees something similar to herself in Porter. 

“We related well on feeling and watching all of your friends stay in Michigan and go to Michigan State, and I know how that feels at first,” Kanakry said.

Shelby laughing with her teammates.

Getting the Feeling of a New Home

Shelby realizes that she has people to relate to and lean on in Northern Kentucky, even when missing home. NKU has become home because of them, she said.

Later in the season, came the Northern Kentucky volleyball match against Wright State, and NKU came out on top. Porter felt on top of the world and knew there was no other place she should be. “Volleyball is worth it and being here is worth it,” said Porter. 

The Volleyball program  that helps Shelby succeed in all aspects of life are the people making Northern Kentucky a great experience, like they are her own family here. Coaches and teammates understand her when she needs to go home but also support her in time management and pushing her to be the best she can be on the court. 

Porter knew from the beginning that she was meant to be here from only meeting one girl, and continues to stay for that same reason.