NKU Men’s Soccer swept by dominant IUPUI

Hailey Roden

The NKU Men’s Soccer team was defeated 0-3 by the Jaguars Saturday night. The match was the most physical of the conference season, with seven yellow cards issued and 40 fouls—20 per team.

IUPUI was quick to dominate offensively, with Emerson Nieto, a junior from Fort Wayne, Indiana, creating many of the Jaguars’ scoring opportunities.

The first goal of the match came in the 14th minute from senior Lukas Hackaa, a midfielder from Stockholm, Sweden. Hackaa and Nieto would go on to be a dynamic pair throughout the match and were difficult to contain for the Norse’s midfield.

Tempers flared on both sides during the very physical match, with referee Sean West stopping the clock at the 18th minute to speak with NKU’s head coach Tom Poitras.

Poitras was dissatisfied with the yellow card awarded to senior defender Caleb Mundell, following an earlier yellow issued to junior defensive midfielder Douglas Fajardo.

The Jaguars would go on to add to their lead with a goal in the 36th minute by senior Logan Finnegan of Wheaton, Illinois.

Coach Poitras would substitute Yonaton Cohen for Drew Boettcher following the goal.

A good scoring opportunity for the Norse came at the end of the first half with a free kick taken by sophomore midfielder Boettcher, headed just wide by senior midfielder Roberto Burlew.

Hailey Roden

The Norse began the second half committing more bodies forward, pressing out of possession and playing with a clearer offensive target.

A stunning strike from outside the box from Finnegan sealed the deal for the Jaguars, taking their lead to 3-0.

The Norse would continue to push but ultimately none of their chances would be converted. Burlew would lead NKU with three shots and one on target over the course of the evening.

The NKU Men’s Soccer team currently sits last in the Horizon League standings with three conference games remaining.

The Norse will return to action next Saturday, Oct. 21 away against Milwaukee.