Illinois hands women’s soccer first loss, 1-0

NKU goalkeeper Brooke Schocker dives for the save during NKU's 1-1 tie against Xavier. The Norse tied Xavier 1-1 at the NKU Soccer Stadium on Sept. 9, 2014.

Matt Sexton, Sports Editor

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The first matchup against a Big Ten team in women’s soccer history ended with a 1-0 Illinois victory Friday night.

The loss is the first of the season for NKU (4-1). Illinois is 6-1.

Hope D’Addario scored the only goal of the match in the 37th minute. She scored off of a free kick to give the Illini the only goal it would need.

The margin might have been greater if not for an outstanding performance by Norse keeper Brooke Schocker. Illinois had 29 shots including nine on goal. Schocker was officially credited with seven saves, allowing just the one goal.

NKU managed just four shots, three of which were by Macy Hamblin. She and Sami Rutowski were each credited with one shot on goal. 

Illinois keeper Claire Wheatley picked up the shutout, making just two saves.

NKU opens Horizon League play 7 p.m. Friday at Youngstown State. They will return home 1 p.m. Sunday for a non-league contest against Toledo. That match will be televised on ESPN3.