Summer spent conquering the world

NKU midfielder Alwin Komolong heads the ball at the goal during NKU's tie against IPFW. NKU tied IPFW 1-1 in double overtime on Sept. 14, 2014 at NKU Soccer Stadium.

Sarah Kellam, Contributor

Most students spend their summers in hometowns, interning or just taking a break. However, one student spent his summer captaining a national team.

When Alwin Komolong returned to Papua New Guinea for the summer, he wasn’t planning on taking time off from soccer. Instead, the NKU junior captained the country’s under-23 national squad and led the team to a third place finish in the Pacific Games in July.

The tournament served as an Olympic qualifier and Komolong had the winning header in the final minute, earning the squad the 2-1 victory over Fiji and a bronze medal.  

“That was amazing,” Komolong said. “I scored the winner in front of about 10 ,000thousand people so it was really good.”

Besides giving the program its first medal in around 30 years, the victory also had many other repercussions for not only the nation, but for the sport of soccer as well.

“It inspired a lot of people,” Komolong said. “A lot of people are talking about soccer now back home. It also inspired the government to put a lot of money into soccer after seeing our performances. It’s a step in the right direction for soccer back home.”

In spite of his success in Papua New Guinea’s national spotlight, Komolong’s eye is now trained on NKU’s season.

Last year, Komolong was a center midfielder for the team and started all 20 games for the Norse. He also landed his first career assist in the previous season during the squad’s 4-3 win over Wright State.  

This year the NKU men’s soccer team boasts a loaded schedule with the squad going up against teams like Cincinnati and Memphis.

Komolong said he’s planning to take some of the skills he’s developed playing internationally to the field this season.

“I’m hoping to take what I’ve learned playing for the national team to NKU. You learn a lot of stuff playing international football,” Komolong said. “It’s different, but there are a lot of positives you can take from it like with the experience, organization, and leadership skills.”

As for his hopes for the season, Komolong wants to be more active on offense and have a chance at finding the net.

“I didn’t get to score last year,” Komolong said. “It’s one of my main goals to actually score and to get more wins as a team.”

• Summer spent conquering the world

Opinions

Fall 2017 Editor Farewell’s

• Summer spent conquering the world

GALLERY: Before Winter break, a Kwanzaa celebration

• Summer spent conquering the world

Norse fall to Austin Peay in closing seconds

• Summer spent conquering the world

Free business program INKUBATOR helps students launch their own ideas

• Summer spent conquering the world

#NorseNotebook NKU defensive-minded team with high powered offense

• Summer spent conquering the world

On and off court, SHEP student finds home in Rec Center

• Summer spent conquering the world

McDonald reaches 1,000 career points in win over Morehead State

• Summer spent conquering the world

Six years later, director of AAP&S as dedicated as ever

• Summer spent conquering the world

Editorial

OPINION: The Northerner stands with the College Heights Herald

• Summer spent conquering the world

Student-fronted Watercolor finds home in Westwood Cafe

Summer spent conquering the world