Women’s basketball fall 45-38 to Loyola

NKU junior Christine Roush passes the ball to a teammate during NKU's 38-45 loss to Loyola (Chicago). NKU lost to Loyola (Chicago) 35-45 at The Bank of Kentucky Center on Nov. 22, 2014.

DeSherion McBroom, Reporter

NKU’s women’s basketball team took on Loyola University on Saturday in their home opener, losing to the Ramblers 45-38.

The Loyola Ramblers took and early 8-6 lead to start off the game. After the Ramblers scored again to make it 10-6 the Norse were able to score on a quick jump shot and two free throws by junior guard Christine Roush.

With 5:37 to play in the first half the Ramblers led the Norse 16-10. Ramblers were looking to score again before senior Melody Doss takes a charge forcing a turnover for the Ramblers.

After a break down in defense, NKU called a timeout to regain the focus. Out of the timeout, Roush knocked down a three pointer from the top of the key to bring the score to 19-13 Ramblers with 3:31 left in the half.

The Ramblers scored with 17.4 seconds left in the half with a quick layup in the lane. Soon after senior Kaitlyn Gerrety scored on a reverse layup with seven seconds left in the half.

NKU redshirt sophomore Shar'Rae Davis catches the ball from a teammate during NKU's 38-45 loss to Loyola (Chicago). NKU lost to Loyola (Chicago) 35-45 at The Bank of Kentucky Center on Nov. 22, 2014.

NKU redshirt sophomore Shar’Rae Davis catches the ball from a teammate during NKU’s 38-45 loss to Loyola (Chicago). NKU lost to Loyola (Chicago) 35-45 at The Bank of Kentucky Center on Nov. 22, 2014.

The Ramblers tried to score on a quick jump shot but were blocked by the Norse defense. They were able to force a difficult shot that bounced off the rim ended the half with the Norse down 27-19.

The Norse shot 17 percent in the first half with the Ramblers shooting 37 percent from the field.

“[Loyola] had three breakdowns in rebounds off of free throws, but I think our kids will get better. They hustled and were bigger and stronger than us, but I think my team will also get stronger and learn from the experiences of this game,” Head Coach Dawn Plitzuweit said.

Out of halftime on a quick inbound play, Doss knocked down a quick jump shot bringing the deficit to six points. After forcing a quick turnover, sophomore Kelley Wiegman drove the lanes and was fouled, knocking down both foul shots.

With 17:01 left in the second half, Roush knocked down a corner three pointer with an assist by Doss bringing the deficit to three points with the Ramblers calling a timeout soon after.

“I think our movement was better in the second half which helped us to get better shots. We had some quality looks at the basket, but were unable to make some open looks” Plitzuweit said.

With 2 minutes left in the game, the Norse were down 39-36. The Ramblers then went on a 7-0 run to make the score 43-36.

“I thought our team played really hard. We struggled to score inside against their height and athleticism, but we will continue to work hard,” Plitzuweit said.

Roush led the team with 12 points as Davis had 10 points, and Gerrety finished with 9 points.

The Norse next take on Ohio University on Tuesday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. in The Bank of Kentucky Center.

“Tuesday we play another an aggressive team, but if our kids continue to play hard I know that we will put ourselves into every game with a chance of winning,” Plitzuweit said.

• Women’s basketball fall 45-38 to Loyola

Men’s Soccer to host FC Cincinnati reserves in preseason match

Baseball

Walks, hit batters lead to Norse defeat in Lexington

Baseball

Norse collect second weekend sweep in Youngstown

Baseball

GALLERY: Norse sweep Grizzlies on senior day

Baseball

Norse pitching can’t handle Panther bats

Baseball

Norse split double header with Wright State

Norse Notebook: Landrum, Leigeb reflect on Horizon League tournament

McQueen steers Norse to senior day victory over Phoenix

Baseball

Norse rally in seventh inning to take game three victory

Baseball

Norse attempt comeback in ninth, fall short against Raiders

Women’s basketball fall 45-38 to Loyola