NKU Tennis takes a loss at home against Mercer

Pierce Kohls hits the ball during NKU's loss to Mercer on Thursday, April 28, 2013. The Norse lost 4-3 against Mercer, winning the doubles point, but falling in the singles.

Dejoira Phillips, Contributing Writer

NKU’s women and men tennis team played March 28 against Mercer at the Joyce Yeager Complex. The final score for the women’s match was 7-0 and the final score for the men’s match was 4-3.

Women’s Tennis Match:

Marta Romeo hits the ball during NKU's loss to Mercer on Thursday, April 28, 2013. The Norse lost 7-0 against Mercer at home.

Marta Romeo hits the ball during NKU’s loss to Mercer on Thursday, April 28, 2013. The Norse lost 7-0 against Mercer at home.

The NKU women’s tennis team played hard against Mercer University, in their first meeting, Thursday afternoon.

Seniors Claire Spradlin and Holly Robinson won the first doubles match against Mercer’s Lisa Kylachkin and Kealee Heffener, ending with a score of 8-0. Mercer won two of the double matches which gave them the lead score in the end.

“I think we competed very well,” Robinson said. “Winning our first win in doubles this season.”

Martha Romeo played hard in the single match against Izzy Dennis of Mercer, with a score of 5-2. Mercer defeated NKU in the singles match.

Claire Spradlin hits the ball during NKU's loss to Mercer on Thursday, April 28, 2013. The Norse lost 4-3 against Mercer, winning the doubles point, but falling in the singles.

Claire Spradlin hits the ball during NKU’s loss to Mercer on Thursday, April 28, 2013. The Norse lost 4-3 against Mercer, winning the doubles point, but falling in the singles.

“The women came out strong and with a good mindset,” assistant coach Shawn Barone said. “We improved dramatically from Tuesday’s to Thursday’s match.”

NKU women’s tennis record is 0-4 in the Atlantic Sun Conference and 0-11 overall. The next game for the women’s team will be at home against Kennesaw State, March 30 at 10 a.m.

Men’s Tennis Match:

The men’s tennis team took over in the doubles match against Mercer, winning in second and third doubles putting NKU in the lead.

“I thought that the men played our best doubles of the year today,” assistant coach Shawn Barone said. “If we continue playing doubles like that the rest of the year we will be in a lot of matches.”

_KK_9504

Andre Correa hits the ball during NKU’s loss to Mercer on Thursday, April 28, 2013. The Norse lost 4-3 against Mercer, winning the doubles point, but falling in the singles.

Seniors Guillaume Berman and Andre Correa won the first and fourth single match, but were unable to pull through with a win, when Mercer began to catch up.

“I do think that the men were ready for the match today,” Barone said. “We did a great job getting out of the gate early by getting that doubles point, but unfortunately we could not keep it up in singles.”

NKU men’s tennis record is 0-4 in the A-Sun conference and 2-12 overall. The team will play next at home against Kennesaw State on March 30 at 1p.m.

• NKU Tennis takes a loss at home against Mercer

Norse battle Flames to 0-0 draw

Three first half goals power NKU past Green Bay

Hamblin’s offensive prowess lifts her into NKU record books

Norse Volleyball takes down Panthers for second-straight win

Late goal pushes Grizzlies past Norse

Norse extinguish Flames in five sets

Born to Play: Wlademir Babaew’s Journey to NKU

Norse split Horizon League weekend matches

Norse defeat Detroit Mercy for fourth consecutive victory

Norse Force hopes to gain strength as athletics succeed