Norse defeat defending A-Sun champion

[imagebrowser id=15]

Photos by: Kody Kahle

NKU’s men’s basketball team defeated the Atlantic Sun’s sole charter member, Mercer University, 63-46, Jan. 24 at The Bank of Kentucky Center. Before tonight’s game the Norse was 2-5 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

Head coach, Dave Bezold said that what was most impressive about the victory, was who NKU beat.
Going into the game, Mercer was ranked at the top of the A-Sun conference. This season, the Bears have defeated Alabama, Florida State and only lost by three points to Wake Forest.

“This is an experienced team that knows how to win on the road,” Bezold said. “We were able to play one heck of a basketball game and beat them.”

Senior guard Eshaunte Jones led the Norse with 26 points, his career-high, and six rebounds. The men’s team is now 55-9 playing at home in the BOKC.

“My teammates found me in spots I was comfortable at,” Jones said. “Luckily, I hit them. It was a good night.”

Before tonight’s win, Northern Kentucky fell to Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast. In both games, the Norse had a total of 30 turnovers combined. Against Mercer, NKU had only five. Bezold said he felt like his players were focused and made very few mistakes.

“We were tough with the ball,” Bezold said. “We got back to playing very solid basketball.”

He said the coaches conducted a training session with upperclassmen to work on turnovers.

“They saw some things on film they were not happy with,” Bezold said.

Senior guard Ethan Faulkner and junior guard Chad Jackson both contributed 12 points each. Freshman forward Jack Flournoy finished with seven.

The Norse host Kennesaw State on Saturday Jan. 26, in a double header. The women’s team will hit the court at 4:30 p.m. and the men follow at 7 p.m.