NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

Kayla Thacker prepared for a fast break against the Lady Bucs. Thacker led the Norse in scoring, shooting 4-9 from behind the arc.

Stephen Wilder, Managing/Sports editor

Northern Kentucky University hosted the East Tennessee State Buccaneers Monday night in a doubleheader at The Bank of Kentucky Center in Highland Heights, Ky.

The women’s team (5-8) defeated the Lady Bucs (3-7) 68-55, controlling most of the game. The men’s team (3-9) trailed the entire game, losing to ETSU (3-12), 49-44.

Junior guard Kayla Thacker led the women’s team with 20 points, going 6-16 from the field and 4-9 from behind the arc. Sophomore forward Melody Doss finished the game with 10 points and 11 rebounds, marking her first career double-double.

Head coach Dawn Plitzuweit said it was a very gutsy performance by her team after playing four games in eight days.

“I thought we came out and played with intensity and hit some shots early in the game, which put us in a good position,” Plitzuweit said. “I don’t know that we scored very well in the second half, but fortunately our defense was a little bit better too.”

Coming off of a victory against the University of South Carolina Upstate, Thacker said back-to-back wins gives her team a lot of confidence.

“We were tired of losing and we knew we could compete and win these games,” Thacker said.

Plitzuweit said Thacker affects the game in a lot of different ways, whether it’s creating possessions, reflecting passes, steals or rebounds.

“She does a lot to keep herself in the game and us in the game at the same time,” Plitzuweit said.

The women’s team’s next game will be at home against Lipscomb University Saturday Jan. 12 at 1 p.m.

Similar to Thacker, Senior forward/guard Eshaunte “Bear” Jones also went 4-9 from behind the arc for the men’s team, and led the Norse with 18 points, going 7-12 from the field. Junior guard Chad Jackson finished the game with 9 points.

Junior guard Chad Jackson drove to the basket on a ETSU defender. Jackson finished the game with 9 points and four steals.

The rest of the Norse struggled offensively against the Buccaneers, shooting only 15-43 (34.9 percent) from the field and 7-26 (26.9 percent) from the 3-point line.

Men’s head coach Dave Bezold said ETSU’s zone defense caused NKU problems during the first half.

“Without a true post presence or threat, it’s very difficult for us to do certain things or release pressure from the perimeter,” Bezold said.

Bezold said the team always feels good and confident defensively, but the defense has to have help from the offense, and it has not happened.

The men’s team’s next match-up will be against Lipscomb University Friday Jan. 11 at 7:05 p.m.

About the Contributors
Stephen Wilder, Managing/Copy Editor

Stephen is a senior journalism major with an English minor and is entering his sixth semester with The Northerner. He has held different positions such...

Kody Kahle, Web Editor

Kody Kahle is a senior at NKU studying computer information technology. As the web editor for The Northerner and Norse Code Radio, he maintains, updates...

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

Flu season’s here: how you can stay well

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

#WrightStateHateWeek preview: Norse hope to remain ‘Kings of Horizon’

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

SOTA’s ‘Cabaret’ opens Thursday

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

March Madness: Norse basketball projected 14 seed

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

Valentine’s Day: Editor’s ideas for cheap, free last-minute plans

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

Steely librarian on information literacy mission

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

National News

Will Title IX change?

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

NKU food pantry battles student hunger

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

GALLERY: FUEL NKU moves to new home in Albright Center

• NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC

REVIEW: History no longer black and white in ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’

NKU hosts A-Sun doubleheader at BOKC