Sport Shorts 10/4/2012

Cross Country
The Northern Kentucky University cross country teams both competed in the Great Louisivllle Classic on Sept. 29. Sophomore J.J. Webber defeated 361 other runners in the 8k race with a time of 24:43.30, which is the third fastest time ever for a NKU male runner. The women’s team finished 32nd out of 43 teams and was led by sophomore Kaitlyn Hooper, who finished the 5k race in 131st place out of 337 finishers.

Men’s Golf
The Northern Kentucky University men’s golf team competed in the Cobra-Puma Invitational hosted by Xavier on Sept.30-Oct.1, finishing 12th out of 15 teams. Junior Steve Rickels led the Norse, shooting 1-over par for the three rounds and tying for 21st place.

Men’s Soccer
The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team only had one match over the past weekend, losing to Bradley, 1-0, on Sept. 29. The Norse are now 2-7 on the season. The Norse will face Florida Gulf Coast on Oct. 4, which is both the first home game and conference game of the season.

Volleyball
The Northern Kentucky University volleyball team traveled to Georgia for two matches during the past weekend, going 2-0 without dropping a set. The Norse swept Mercer (25-19, 25-22, 25-18) on Sept. 28 and swept Kennesaw State the following day on Sept. 29. (25-14, 25-18, 25-22). The Norse are currently on a four-game winning streak and are 16-2 on the season.

Women’s Soccer
The Northern Kentucky University women’s soccer team traveled to Florida to play two conference games last weekend. The Norse defeated Stetson, 1-0, on Sept.28. Senior Kathryn Hale scored the only goal of the match in the 7th minute. On Sept. 30, the Norse went up against Florida Gulf Coast and was shut out, 6-0. The Norse are now 4-8 on the season and 1-3 against conference opponents.