Sport Shorts

Golf

The Northern Kentucky University golf teams both competed. The women participated in the Cardinal Classic, hosted by Ball State University in Yorktown, Ind. on Sept. 22-23 and finished 11th out of 12 teams. Leading the way for the Norse was junior Rachel Brown finishing in a tie for 22nd place. The men competed in the Cardinal Intercollegiate on Sept. 24-25 hosted by the University of Louisville held in Simpsonville, Ky. The Norse finished 11th out of 15 teams, led by junior Jones Brown, who finished in a tie for third.

Men’s Soccerr

The Northern Kentucky University men’s soccer team won its first games of the season. The first win was a 2-1 decision against Belmont, on Sept. 22. Belmont got off to the early lead by scoring in the 15th minute, a first half that only saw one shot from each team. The Norse tied the score on a goal by sophomore Cian McDonald in the 71st minute and scored the winning goal with 1:25 left in regulation on a goal by freshman Kevin Walker. On Sept. 25, the Norse defeated Western Illinois, 1-0, on a goal by junior Mohammad Salhieh in the 86th minute.

Volleyball

The Northern Kentucky University volleyball team played two home against Atlantic Sun competitors during the past weekend and won both matches. Against North Florida on Sept. 21, the Norse won in four sets, (25-19, 21-15, 25-19, 25-21) and defeated Jacksonville in four sets, (25-16, 25-21, 23-25, 25-23) on Sept. 22 The Norse are 14-2 on the season including 2-1 against conference foes.

Women’s Soccer

The Northern Kentucky University women’s soccer team kicked off conference play this weekend at home, losing both matches. The Norse faced Jacksonville on Sept. 21 and lost 2-1. Jacksonville struck first scoring a goal in the 37th minute. Sophomore Kelsey Zwergel answered for the Norse with a goal in the 55th minute, but Jacksonville scored the winning goal in the 78th minute. The Norse played North Florida on Sept. 23 and lost in overtime, 3-2. Senior Kathryn Hale scored for the Norse in the 38th minute and Zwergel gave the Norse the lead again in the 62nd minute. North Florida scored a goal with two minutes left in regulation and with 14 second remaining in overtime to claim the victory.