NKU Athletics hires new coach

Northern Kentucky University announced Friday night that Brian Nester will be the head coach for the Norse tennis program.
Nester, a native of Edgewood, Ky., comes to NKU after serving as the director of tennis at Kenwood Country Club from 1997-2011. Before then, he was the head professional and director of tennis at Five Seasons Sports Country Club from 1990-97.

Nester played tennis at the University Nebraska Kearney, a Division II school, where he also served as the tennis head coach from.
Nestor replaces Geoff Crawford as head coach. Geoff Crawford was tennis coach of the men’s team since 1990 and the women’s program since 2001.
“We thought it was time to move the program into a different direction. We’ve been grateful to Geoff, appreciative to where he got us to,” Athletic Director Scott Eaton said. “And we are looking forward to Brian’s leadership.”

The position was posted by the university right before the fall semester came to an end. There were around 30 applicants for the job. That number was narrowed down to eight who were considered based on their credentials. Then it was narrowed down to two, who made campus visits.
Eaton said that several sources told him that Nestor is “perhaps the best tennis coach in the area.”
“He brings a calm demeanor and gentleness in his teaching,” Eaton said.

Nestor is excited to be part of the program and said it is a perfect fit for where he has been in his career.
“It’s a big growth for the university, a big jump for the tennis program and it is neat to be part of that, Nester said. “I want the program to grow. Not only from Division II to Division I but to contend at any level.”

Nestor has been working with the team since Jan. 11. The men’s team begins the season on Feb. 4 playing No. 6 Abilene Christian. While, the women start their season on Feb. 10 against Eastern Kentucky University.