NKU expected to announce move to D-I today

NKU is expected to announce its intent to join the Atlantic Sun Conference Dec. 8, becoming a Division-I team. Athletics would begin playing a D-I schedule in fall 2012.

The move is contingent on the Board of Regents vote to accept the invitation. They will be meeting at 1:30 p.m. Dec. 8 in the Bank of Kentucky Center conference room B.

NKU will hold a press conference to announce its decision after the meeting. If the board
votes in favor of the move, the university will publicly announce the transition during a pep rally that begins at 2:30 p.m. in The Bank of Kentucky Center.

NKU Marketing and Communications Director Chris Cole confirmed that officials from the Atlantic Sun Conference were on campus a couple weeks ago for a visit.

After the Ohio Valley Conference rejected NKU in November, Athletic Director Scott Eaton said the university still expected to join a conference before the end of the semester and presented a PowerPoint to the Faculty Senate explaining specific guidelines.

In fall 2012, NKU would begin a four-year reclassification process and all sports would be ineligible for NCAA postseason tournaments.

In fall 2016, NKU would become an NCAA Division I institution, and be eligible for NCAA Tournament play and eligible for NCAA revenue distributions related to sports sponsorship and grant-in-aid.

In fall 2019, NKU would be eligible for NCAA revenue distributions related to men’s basketball tournament.

Northern Kentucky would be joining East Tennessee State, Florida Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, Mercer, North Florida, South Carolina Upstate and Stetson in the Atlantic Sun. Belmont University is also a member but will be leaving fall 2012 to join the Ohio Valley Conference.