Norse volleyball season ends with first round tourney loss

With early losses in the postseason tournaments, the Northern Kentucky University volleyball team’s season has came to an end.

NKU finished with a first-round loss in both the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament and in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Tournament.

In the GLVC Tournament, held in Romeoville Ill. on Nov. 12, Northern Kentucky fell to Missouri-St. Louis in a five set thriller, 23-25, 26-24, 18-25, 25-23, 19-17.

Missouri-St. Louis saved three match points in the fifth set to pull out a 19-17 win.

Junior outside hitter Sarah Drennen led NKU with 18 kills. Sophomore outside hitter Gennie Galfano collected 16 kills while junior outside hitter Noelle Peterson added 13 kills.

Sophomore defensive specialist Kylee Tarantino led the defense with 18 digs followed by sophomore setter Jenna Schreiver with 13 digs.

Even with the lost, the Norse qualified for the NCAA Tournament as the No. 7 seed in the Midwest Regional held in Hillsadale, Mich. on Nov. 19.

They played the No. 2 seed Grand Valley State in the first round of the regional and lost in straight sets, 25-21, 26-24, 25-23.

NKU owned a 24-22 lead in the second set, but were unable to hold on to tie the match at one set all as Grand Valley State scored the final four points of the set.

Sophomore outside hitter Shelby Buschur led the Norse offense with 11 kills while Tarantino led the defense with 16 digs.

NKU finished the season with a record of 20-14.

Story by John Minor