Flag Football leads intramural sports

Intramural sporting events can be a key part of growth and character development in a college student’s life. The most popular intramural sport in fall of 2010 has been flag football.

Last year, school year 2009-2010, the flag football program had 28 teams total. This year has seen a significant jump all the way up to an astounding 46 different teams.

“I think it could be the diversity of the program. We have men’s, women’s and co-requisite leagues,” said Jeremy Chipman Coordinator for Intramural Sports.

Part of the reason for the increase could be that more and more students want to get active and meet new friends through a similar sport interest, but another could be the change in playing venue for the teams.

“We used to play on the fields behind Norse Hall, but now we play under the newly lit NKU soccer stadium,” Chipman said.

If you are a student looking for something to do in order to get your mind off of school work for awhile; then you may want to attend one of the upcoming flag football championship events at the NKU Soccer Stadium.

“The games are something I’ve always enjoyed. The competition is better than expected,” said Jason Russell, junior business major.

The playoffs for all respective flag football teams and divisions started on Oct. 21 with the championships being played this week. On Oct. 28 the co-requisites title game will feature the Pike Co-Rec vs. ATO Co-Rec.  The fraternity championships will follow at 8:30 p.m. with TKE A team playing against ATO A team. Oct. 31 holds the Men A division championships at 8:30 p.m. The final slew of championship games will be played on Nov. 1 starting with the women’s division at 7:30 p.m. showcasing sororities Kappa Delta vs. Delta Gamma and ending with the Men’s B division, Brett Betz’s Crew vs. Boone Squad at 8:30 p.m.

Story by Derick Bischoff