NKU takes two out of three

The Northern Kentucky University volleyball team won two out of three matches in the NKU invitational tournament on Friday and Saturday.

NKU started the tournament on Friday by falling to Wheeling Jesuit in three sets, 25-20, 26-24, 25-19.

Sophomore outside hitter Shelby Buschur led the Norse with 14 kills, followed by junior outside hitter Noelle Peterson with nine kills. Sophomore setter Jessica Schreiver led NKU with seven digs.

The Norse came back strong on Saturday their final two matches of the tournament.

“We came together today and really played like a team,” Buschur said.

In the first match, NKU defeated California (Pa.) in a five-set thriller, 25-14, 25-23, 23-25, 18-25, 15-10.

In the fifth and final set with the score tied 9-9, the Norse finished on a 6-1 run to win the set and the match.

Buschur led the team with 18 kills, and also recorded eight blocks. Peterson finished the game with 17 kills, and junior outside hitter Sarah Drennen added 14 kills.

Sophomore defensive specialist Kylee Tarantino led the Norse with 17 digs, while senior libero Chelsea Clark and Schreiver both finished with 13 digs.

“It was a very competitive match, as they are a very good team,” Coach Carlos Chia said. “We took advantage of being the home team to win.”

To conclude the tournament, NKU defeated Gannon in three sets, 25-12, 25-21, 26-24.

After coasting to a one-set lead, the Norse held the lead for most of the second set, until falling behind Gannon 18-19. From there it was all NKU, as the Norse went on a 7-2 run to win the second set. NKU finished strong in the third set as well when they took three straight points when trailing 23-24 to claim the victory 26-24.

Peterson led the way with 10 kills as Tarantino led the defense with 15 digs.

NKU is now 4-5 on the season and will play host to West Virginia State on Tuesday at Regents Hall.

Story by John Minor