Get out there and play

Freshman year can be a stressful and nerve-wracking experience for many people beginning their post-high school education. For some, it is the first time being away from home for an extended period of time, and the pressures of finding classrooms, meeting new friends and overcoming nervous jitters can feel like juggling chain saws.

But students don’t have to worry about spending all their time alone in their dorm room eating cheese puffs.  One of the ways students can reduce stress, make long lasting friendships and make college life more enjoyable is by participating in the intramural sports Northern Kentucky University offers.

“It was a great, great experience,” said David Bowling, a 2002 alumni of NKU, who still enjoys playing sports and working out at the Campus Recreation Center. “I met a lot of new people as a nervous freshman. I played all four years since I was a freshman and still enjoy playing sports.”

Intramural sports are growing more popular every year, with 26.9 percent more students competing in the last three years.

This year, there are 22 different sports to choose from, ranging from bowling to ultimate Frisbee. The first groups of sports to begin play during the fall semester are: sand volleyball, 3-on-3 basketball, racquetball, bowling and flag football.

“Campus recreation is one of our largest common experiences for students on campus and intramural sports is one of our largest programs,” said Campus Recreation Director Matt Hackett.

He expects an even bigger turnout for field sports because students will be playing under the lights in the new soccer stadium instead of the grass behind Norse Hall.

The entry deadline for the first group of sports is Sept. 8th and a full list of all 22 sports is listed at

Intramural sports are open to all current students. Those who want to get their competitive juices flowing and raise Cain can do so by registering online, or by filling out a registration form in person at the Campus Recreation Center.

Students must fill out either the team entry form or free agent entry form. The team entry form is for a team sport that has already been organized, while a free agent entry form is for individuals who want to participate but do not have a team to play for.

Students who want to get some practice in before intramurals starts or just take advantage of the facilities can go to the Campus Recreation Center Monday through Thursday, 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Story by Derick Bischoff