Fantasy Football Weekly: Week two

Week two of the National Football League wrapped up with the Indianapolis Colts defeating the Miami Dolphins 27 to 23 on Monday Night Football.

It was a weekend that saw the New York Jets hold off a high-octane offense in the New England Patriots to just three field goals. We saw the Cincinnati Bengals win at Lambeau field for the first time in team history. The Detroit Lions also continued their lackluster play by extending their losing streak to 17 consecutive games, dating back to all of last season.

Now it’s time to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly for fantasy owners as they get set for week three.

The Good:

Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson exploded week two against the Texans. Johnson ran for 197 yards and two scores on the ground and caught nine passes for 87 yards and 1 score in the air, according to www.cbssportsline.com. You should always start Johnson every week unless he is hurt.

San Francisco 49er’s running back Frank Gore also had a big week against the Seahawks. Gore rushed for a whopping 207 yards with two rushing touchdowns. Gore also added 39 yards receiving. Gore is not only a stud at carrying the rock he can also carry your fantasy team

After a poor performance in week one, Houston Texans wide receive Andre Johnson had a solid bounce back week two against the Titans. Johnson caught 10 passes for 149 yards and two touchdowns. Andre Johnson is capable of putting up huge numbers every week so you should always start him regardless of the match up.

The Giants wide receiver duo of Steve Smith and Mario Manningham both had huge weeks this week against the Dallas Cowboys. Steve Smith had career high 10 receptions for 134 yards and a touchdown, according to www.cbssportsline.com. Manningham also caught 10 passes for 150 yards and a touchdown. Both Manningham and Smith have become go to guys in the Giants offense. If you as a fantasy owner are weak at the wide receiver position you should definitely consider starting both of these guys next week against Tampa Bay.

The Bad:
There are some key injuries that fantasy owners should be aware of when preparing their week three lineups.’ Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donavan McNabb is still nursing the rib injury that he sustained in week one against the Carolina Panthers.’ He is listed as doubtful for the Eagles week three battle against Kansas City, according to www.cbssportsline.com.’ McNabb owners should start thinking about their second option at the QB position.

The Eagles’ star running back Brian Westbrook left Sunday’s game against New Orleans with a sprained ankle and as of now, there is no word on his status for next week.’ Westbrook owners should pay close attention to his injury update so you can plan to play with him or without him on Sunday.

The Dallas Cowboys running back Marion Barber left Sunday’s debacle against National Football Conference (NFC) East Division rival the New York Giants with sprained quadriceps.’ The injury does not appear to be serious, and he is listed as day-to-day.

The Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck left Sunday’s game against San Francisco with a fractured rib, there is no word on his status for next weeks game against the Bears. According to cbssportsline.com Hasselbeck said ‘I’m absolutely hoping to play.’ Hasselbeck owners should probably think about another option next week against the Bears.

The Ugly:

Some players who were expected to put up big numbers flat out just didn’t perform week two. Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings did not catch a single pass week two against the Cincinnati Bengals. Although Jennings had a poor performance this week he should definitely perform better week three against the Rams. Jennings owners should continue to start Jennings with confidence.

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo flat out stunk Sunday night against the New York Giants. Romo threw for only 127 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions, according to cbssportsline.com. Romo owners should not be too worried about this performance because Romo was facing a very potent New York Giants defense. If you are a Romo owner you should start him with confidence next week against the Panthers.

New England Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss did not have his best performance week two against the Jets. Moss was limited to four passes for only 24 yards by Jets corner back Darrelle Revis. According to Merrill Hodge of ESPN, Revis is’ the best corner of the game’. Obviously Moss will have better weeks ahead of him. Moss owners should definitely start him next week vs. Atlanta.