NKU College of Education helps send local high schoolers to national competition

Provided | NKU
Administrators from NKU’s College of Education presented a check to Beechwood High School students on Tuesday to help them attend a national competition.

A unique partnership between Northern Kentucky University’s College of Education and Beechwood High School will allow eight high school students to attend a national competition in Washington, D.C. this summer.

The Fort Mitchell students are a part of Educators Rising, a national group that helps develop and prepare individuals who want to become teachers. 12 Beechwood students qualified to compete on the national level, and eight will be attending the summer competition. While this is the third time the school has qualified for nationals, this will be the first year students are actually able to attend.

This is where NKU’s College of Education comes in.

On Tuesday morning, administrators from the College of Education presented a check of $6,500 to the Beechwood students to help fund the cost of attending nationals.

Five of the high school students committed to attending NKU at Tuesday’s check presentation, according to a press release from the university.

Five Beechwood students committed to attending NKU on Tuesday. (Provided | NKU)

NKU said by supporting local high schoolers, they hope to expose students to the teaching field early on and create a pipeline of future teachers. The university also said they are committed to addressing the national teacher shortage. 

The Educators Rising National Conference will take place from June 28 through July 1 in Washington, D.C.